MF 2135 Power Steering and 3 point lift questions

acdblujns

New User
Hi,
2 Major questions...
I have a 2135 Gas with an MF 100 FEL. The power steering only works when the tractor is cold. Once it warms up to temp I lose any power assist. Does this sound like a possible pump rebuild or would a fluid and filter change sound a more likely candidate? The fluid is up to the indicated level but looks kinda sketchy.
If a rebuild is warranted can anyone point me to a rebuild kit if one is made? Did a Google search but came up with conflicting info.

Also, the 3 point hitch is slow and weak on lifting my 5' Bush Hog. It's due for a fluid change, would a possible Flush and new filter and fluid help? The lift has always been strong but has gradually slowed over time. Did my research here on YT and that line of thought seemed to be a good first place to start?

Recommendations on a good cold weather fluid for Hydro and replacement fluid for the PS?

Thanks in advance,
Pat

I would do the fluid, and filter change on the steering first. On the 3 point raise the arms all the way up with position control with nothing hooked to the 3 point, cut the engine off, and see how long it take for the 3 point to fall without moving the position control.

A clogged filter on the hydraulic pump for the 3 point can make it go slow like that. If the fluid is dodgy then it's time to change anyway. After pt's test you can remove the side cover for the speed control and watch what's going on inside. See if it's raining in there or any fluid blowing around etc. The filter is accessed from the pto selector side after removing that cover.

Well... reporting back on part of my problems.
I got a chance to work on the power steering on the 2135. I was able to order a new filter and new fluids. I drained the fluid pulled the pump to clean the reservoir everything came off with not much problem. The old fluid was not too bad, the reservoir wasn't filled with gunk, which was good. I found the upper filter seal in the bottom, but no lower filter seal. Putting it back on was no problem, filled with fluid, started the engine, tried to move the wheel from side to side to work the air out ... no good. I used the FEL to lift the front wheels off the ground and turned the wheel from stop to stop to bleed the air, put it back down and still no go. Checked fluid, added some after first 2 tries and then it stayed level.
What am I doing wrong? it had power steering when it is cold, but now nothing.
What do you guys think?
Thanks,
Pat

If you get a T to put into the pressure line, and see if you have pressure. The power steering on these can be real finicky to get to work right.

Update - Thanks, PT, I didn't have a chance to get a pressure gauge and Tee this weekend. I do however have another piece of the puzzle. I checked the power steering fluid level after it sat overnight, and the fluid was down. I added a little more than a pint to top it off at the fill line, started the tractor and got the same results. NO POWER STEERING AT ALL.
Then, while still stationary, out of gear, wheels chocked, I ran the RPM's up to about 1700-2000, and the steering began to ease and got some power steering, not fully but enough to tell the difference from when the engine is at idle.
SO... what does this tell me???

My first guess would be the gears or housing in the pump are worn to the point where they no longer build pressure unless at higher RPM.

Question...
1. can the pump be rebuilt? It's Cessna Type. Parts are shown in the AGCO diagram, are they available? Cost prohibitive?

2. Time for a new pump?

3. Any other thoughts on what may be the problem other than the pump? Control Valve? Remember I had minimal PS before this adventure.

Thanks, Pat

(quoted from post at 06:09:42 10/16/17) Update - Thanks, PT, I didn't have a chance to get a pressure gauge and Tee this weekend. I do however have another piece of the puzzle. I checked the power steering fluid level after it sat overnight, and the fluid was down. I added a little more than a pint to top it off at the fill line, started the tractor and got the same results. NO POWER STEERING AT ALL.
Then, while still stationary, out of gear, wheels chocked, I ran the RPM's up to about 1700-2000, and the steering began to ease and got some power steering, not fully but enough to tell the difference from when the engine is at idle.
SO... what does this tell me???

My first guess would be the gears or housing in the pump are worn to the point where they no longer build pressure unless at higher RPM.

Question...
1. can the pump be rebuilt? It's Cessna Type. Parts are shown in the AGCO diagram, are they available? Cost prohibitive?

2. Time for a new pump?

3. Any other thoughts on what may be the problem other than the pump? Control Valve? Remember I had minimal PS before this adventure.

Thanks, Pat

No one I know of sells individual parts for the ps pump, it's usually a complete new pump.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back