Mf 30E engine stopping but not diesel problem

Theres local guy with mf 30e which goes for a while then
stops

Leave it for an hour then it starts

6 months or so it had the head gasket changed

Its not original engine

Cant be diesel problem

Thanks for replies

You say it can't be a diesel problem. Does that mean it is a gasoline engine? Also, you say not original engine, does that mean it is a like replacement of the original or something all together different than the original?

Best if you tell what the engine is (brand, type, and size) and all the history behind this.

Its a Diesel engine

The tractor is mf 30e which is industrial version of the

The engine is from a compressor or forklift truck

Today it stopped checked for diesel starvation does not
appear to be problem

An hour later it started

The inside of fuel cap is badly corroded

Could this be problem?

The head gasket has been replaced a while ago

(quoted from post at 14:40:29 12/13/23) Its a Diesel engine

The tractor is mf 30e which is industrial version of the

The engine is from a compressor or forklift truck

Today it stopped checked for diesel starvation does not
appear to be problem

An hour later it started

The inside of fuel cap is badly corroded

Could this be problem?

The head gasket has been replaced a while ago

So it still has a 3 cylinder Perkins 152 diesel as the original was?

Did it restart without needing any priming?

If the vent in the cap has plugged that might do it. Try running with the cap loose.

How did you check to see that it was not fuel starvation?

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 12/13/2023 at 10:49 am.

I slackened injector pipe at pump , plenty diesel coming
out but no effort to start at all

After an hour it started

What line are you calling ''the injector pipe''? Are you referring to one of the three high pressure lines that go from the injection pump to one of the injectors? You should check at the injector end, they don't put out a lot of fuel out per stroke. The injection pump fuel shut off must be in the run position and the engine cranking over to get fuel at the injector. Make sure the injection pump fuel shut off is moving fully to the run position and staying there.

Did you try running it with the fuel cap loose/off to see if it was not venting and making a vacuum in the tank?

You said, The inside of fuel cap is badly corroded Could this be problem? I would be willing to bet that if the cap is in that bad of shape then there's probably a significant amount of rust particles in the tank that WILL clog the fuel strainer at the bottom of the tank, BTDT x 2. Mine would run about 7 minutes before it shut down. I washed mine out with 85% ethanol but that will probably only last for a while. Did the owner change the fuel filter? If it looks like a buzzard puked in it then the rust is a larger problem. It will eventually clog the fuel shutoff tap in the bottom of the tank and it won't start at all. If you take the fuel supply line to the transfer(lift) pump loose at the tank end and it pours fuel out then you can disregard the rust issues...for now. I would not discount a slowly failing injector pump either, hopefully not.
In addition to what Jim.ME said about starting it I always set the throttle to half or more and reduce it when it first hits off.
Good Luck with it!

(quoted from post at 17:00:38 12/13/23) Theres local guy with mf 30e which goes for a while then
stops

Leave it for an hour then it starts

6 months or so it had the head gasket changed

Its not original engine

Cant be diesel problem

Thanks for replies
Could it be full of gas ?

(quoted from post at 10:25:04 12/15/23) Yes the tank is full

Could that be problem?

Not a problem if it is full of diesel fuel, however if it is full of gas (GASOLINE) it is a problem. Your reply of ''Yes the tank is full'' to the question of: ''Could it be full of gas ?'' could be taken to mean it is full of the wrong fuel. Did you mean to say: No, it is full of diesel fuel?

Has he tried running it yet with the cap loose, or off, to see if that makes a difference?

Things that would have been disconnected to replace the head gasket are things to check.

Is it possible there is debris down inside the tank fuel shutoff, not visible without removal of the shutoff? Fuel drawing through it could shift the debris and cause a blockage that releases after the draw is stopped for a bit. When it stops, as quick as possible, check the free fuel flow from the tank tap to the transfer pump.

Are the return/excess fuel lines hooked up and checked that all are clear, not blocked somewhere?

Are all of the fuel lines routed correctly for thermal start or ether injection as appropriate for his engine?

When you checked for fuel flow before you said, ''I slackened injector pipe at pump.''. I asked about which pipe you were talking about, and you did not clarify. Please clarify exactly pipe you slackened. If you can tell me what fuel system, Thermal Start or Ether Assist his tractor, has I will try to post a picture(s) of the appropriate system from the parts book.

This post was edited by Jim.ME on 12/16/2023 at 02:18 pm.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back