MF Rim Options

Bill VA

Got 2 model 50 tractors, both have spin out rear rims and each one has a badly rusted area around the valve stem.

What are my options for repair or replace that make sense?

Try to repair the rim valve hole or move it to another location? Buy new spin out rims? Ditch the spin out rims in favor of one piece fixed rims or
something else?

Any sage advice is much appreciated.

Assume you mean Power Adjust. They are cool, not required. Weld repair is common and effective. Non power adj. from vintage Ford will probably bolt up, also 'non deluxe' MF. Your rim part probably available brand new. Should have a rim + center disk, not One Piece. Lastly, Ford may have more crude adjustments (width-track) than non Power adjust MF, but very workable.

They're not difficult to weld up. I used strips of steel about an inch wide and cut to whatever length you need. Form them into the shape needed to fit the bead area. Easy to form if you heat them red. Lay them side by side as you work your way around the rim. Smooth all the rough edges by grinding. Drill a hole for the stem at a different location on the rim.

I know it's a pain to take off the tire and tube, but you'll end up doing that anyway if you buy new rims. Strip it down and do the weld-up like Eric says. Once you are in there, it may not be all that bad a job to just fix the stem area. Or, you'll find you truly do need a new rim. I had mine sand blasted, welded the bad stuff up, flapper disc to make it smooth, redrilled the stem hole, and filled a few rust pits with JB weld to keep the tube safe. Then a couple of coats of epoxy primer, and a heavy brush coat of Rustoleum. It's satisfying to fix it yourself. steve

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back