MF135 Brake locking

Tslinger

So... I thought I'd try the 135 plowing a bit of the snow we got recently. What I found, was the left tire kept locking up while trying to reverse. Touch of right brake, and it would break loose.

I didn't get any hint of this when I was test driving the machine. Only difference is it was colder now, slippery, and I had taken the rear weight box off. (really hadn't planned to try the plow this winter, but it's hard to resist a new toy)

Thoughts? Gut is saying a broken spring in the drum. Possibly just out of adjustment... I note that the parking brake ratchet will be all the way to the bottom if I just lock the left brake. Anything else that springs to mind? I didn't see anything common in the archives.

Also found I really wish it had the diff lock... Without the rear weight, it's a pig on roller skates, on ice trying to manage getting up our hills. Our JD300 did just fine with weight on the rear pushing snow. Both have good tread, but the JD has brand new rubber, and the MF is 40 years old... Next trip up there I'll be throwing the chains on the JD... Have to see if the chains from our 8N might be able to go on the 135.

Hi, a number of possibilities here. First, check the inside of the
backplate for any sign of oil contamination. Check that the inner end
of the brake shaft is free to rotate in its bush in the axle housing.
Check that the brake rod pins are free or at least allowing free
movement. Check that there is no bend in the brake rod. You may
have a lot of pedal travel but the adjusters in the drum/s could be
adjusted with insufficient working clearance. Slacken through the
slots in the backplates using a wide flat screwdriver. It is likely that
there will be wear in the brake cams, that is the block at the outer
end of the brake shaft. There are a number of postings of mine on
here detailing how to service 35 and 135 brakes. You can achieve a
form of ‘differential lock’ by alternating your foot quickly between the
pedals when needed. In doing this you transfer drive from the wheel
of least resistance to turn to the one of most resistance. If for
example you have one wheel in mud and one on concrete apply the
brake to the one in mud. Drive will then be partly transferred to the
concrete wheel.
DavidP, South Wales

Thanks for that. I've found a few of your brake posts now. Sounds like it's all very manageable once the weather turns nice and I can clear up some space to pull the wheels off to get in the drums.

The service, and parts manuals should be at my place some time this week, so hopefully I can dispense with asking things that are easily answered...

Playing with the split brakes is baked in my brain already... Only tractor we have that had a dif lock was our JD300, and that rusted up, and the lever broke off, so never have had the option... It would just be nice not to have to play that game... Lack of that option obviously didn't stop me from buying the 135.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back