MH 44 row crop..

Looked at a 44 today. Serial number is 44GP 4690. Which puts it into a 1948. It has adjustable front axle and adjustable rear axle. The owner said he thought it was a
special but no decal o the hood to say that. Could it be a special?? Thanks for now.

Thanks RayMitchler. That is what I had thought with the info I have. And its my understanding that the only thing that made it special was in the gasoline engine only it was bored out to 4.5 liter. The other engines where left the same. I looked at a bunch of pictures on line and there are diesels with the special decal on the hood. Not sure thats right.

the specials have a longer wheel base and also the front hubs are heavy cast. and the 277 engine. did you know that guy at red deer scrapped 165 massey tractors for 1k each. so that was a total waste of good tractors sent to china. think he is pretty well done no more adds. a guy told me he had way over 200 tractos. sad sad .

Hi rustred. Tractor data didnt say any thing about wheelbase or hubs. Just that the engine had larger bore. The Red Deer tractor collection was close to 300. I heard several numbers over 270 but no numbers over 300. Its a shame that it had to happen that way. But he wanted them gone and the ones that went for scrap are gone forever. A lot of Massey Harris tractors lost forever.

i cant say on the row crop wheel base , but i know for sure the standard tractors the special is around 6-8 inches longer. that drive shaft behind the clutch is also longer. and yes the front hubs are heavy cast on both models. and specials came out in 53. if it has them car rims on the front its a standard. the special has open rims that fit over the hub like a w6 or wd9 , same deal.

The 44 Special diesel used the 260 engine, same as the 44 standard diesel. The 277 diesel was used in the 444. A 44 Special diesel would have the same differences to a 44 standard as any 44 Special would have.....longer tub, longer fuel tank, cast front hubs, different rear cast hubs, different throttle lever up on the steering column, gear shift gate with pointer on the shift lever, rubber cushioned Trans coupler and a few other minor differences. The 44 Special gas has the 277 engine and was rated a few more horsepower than a straight 44 gas with the 260 engine.....corrected belt hp was just shy of 50hp. The 44 series was MH's most popular and best tractor.

Ben

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back