Mixed emotions

WellWorn

Kind of a long complicated story, so bear with me.

A neighbor fellow we lease property from, Tom, had purchased most of the family homestead decades ago, with his now 80some year old parent's place staked off as a parcel of it's own, including a couple sheds but excluding the 40x70 (supposedly Sears kit, shipped in on the Erie RR) barn, just a stone throw from the house. We are using the barn for our farrowing hogs, so I go over at least once a day to feed and water, and I've gotten to know them somewhat. Really nice folks.

I've been looking for a replacement for my beyond-repair-without-becoming-a-money-pit Super A for a few years. A couple years ago, lo-and-behold, behind one of the sheds appears a Super A covered with a tarp. A son-in-law had died and had this SA parked behind a barn, under an overhang. Motor seized. Daughter thought Dad could use a project to give him something to tinker with, so they dragged it over. I had inquired about it last year as nothing had been done to it, and Tom gave me the story. I let it drop.

About 3 weeks ago, I saw one of the daughter and SIL's in the yard, and asked if he might consider selling it. They invited me in to discuss it with him. I went in, explained that I had an SA with a lot of attachments, just needed a replacement for the one that was too well abused before I ever owned it, and asked what he'd need for it. He said "how about $500?" I agreed. Took me about a 12 days to get to the bank on bankers hours to get cash, but paid for it just this past Monday (and got a receipt). Tom caught up with me Tuesday and told me that the 193 single bottom plow, the 60 front blade (brackets pretty bent), and some dog-leg arms that hook to the rear lift, almost like the lower links of a 3pt. go with it. Depending on just how bad the motor is stuck and other issues it may have, it might just be a "good deal". Except...

I just learned this evening that Tom's dad has passed.

Makes me wonder just how thin a thread of 'something left to do' keeps some folks hanging on, in spite of the "reality". I'll never know if on some level there was an admission of 'defeat' in selling the tractor that had anything to do with his demise, but it does make me wonder. Then again, after paying him and thanking him again for allowing me to buy it, he somewhat loudly (sincerely) thanked me as I was on the way out the door. Kinda took me by surprise. Maybe he was glad that it now had an opportunity to become useful again.

If I get it running and properly dressed up, I may have to put his name on it. It seems only right.

If i am reading you right,sounds like your saying you buying the tractor made the man pass or pass faster. I really
dont think thats the case but i do get what your your talking about. I dont know if i would hang a plaque on it with
the mans man but i would tell folks who and where it come from when asked. Good story though

Dad gave me an unused triangle in a corner of the farm for a building lot. He then loaned me money to build a house. We built in 1978, and lived there for 14 years. In 1992 we built another house down the road on a small farm we had bought in 1985. We were fortunate to have a timely buyer for our first house. I asked Dad if he wanted to keep getting payments with interest, or if he wanted the balance of the loan back. He opted to "clean it up". When I paid him right around Thanksgiving 1992 as we moved, he wished me luck, which was different for him, almost as a good bye. Sun. Dec. 6 1992 in the morning, he dropped dead sitting in the bathtub.

I really doubt it made a difference, it is your tractor now, no sense putting anyone else's name on it.

As you work on it to make it right, you will apply many divergent names and salutations. When it runs again, decide what to
call it. If Bob is to be its destiny, so be it. I would not paint the name on it. Jim

My dad talked to a cleaning lady about going
through his house he had a feeling something
was going to happen two days later totally
unexpected my mom died of an aneurysm.

What are your plans for the tractor?

If it will be refurbished, painted, do some parades and shows, maybe some day get a professionally made plaque that tells a bit of the story of the previous owner, how you came to buy it, etc.

That could then be displayed with the tractor.

Thank you all for your thoughtful replies.

Steve, while I might someday do a parade (very local) with this or another of our tractors should the farming ever slow down enough to spare most of a day away from chores, I don't get, fix or keep tractors for 'show' - they are here to work. Yes, when they are properly fixed up mechanically, I'd like to make them as 'rust proof' as a good coat of paint (in the right colors) can make them when their time off of work and my spare time allow, but it isn't required, nor will they be "restored" to factory original. The internal combustion engine and it's accessories have come a long way in the past 90 years. I believe David G has the right idea with EFI, and that's part of the plan for the gassers here (when time and finances allow). Paint is just another of those things 'still left to do', a thread of hope that my work isn't finished just yet.

Perhaps 20 years from now when I'm in my 80's, Lord willing, some younger guy or gal will come by and make an offer on my old iron, and in that moment I can let go of another thread that holds me here, and the cycle can continue.

I have witnessed this effect several times, once the drive to accomplish something is gone, there is little reason to stay.

It is even more acute when the actual minute to pass comes, that the room is often empty, save the patient. Quiet and alone, the time has come.

More likely the older gent felt trouble coming and wanted to wrap up some loose ends. He thanked you in person for doing a favor for him. I think you can feel good about that.

His health had been declining for a few years, but his last 36 hours were an abrupt change. It's quite possible he knew on some level weeks ahead. I'm just thankful that he didn't suffer long, and that this old iron didn't slip away as scrap (at least before someone can see if it can be resurrected).

The family assumed it could be gotten running, but there is more to making it right than just that. I've learned so dang much in doing things ignorantly, that I now know to look a lot deeper than the surface of any apparent problem. If it's stuck, the head comes off to confirm the extent of it, not just soak the cylinders with oil and blindly hope that if it can be made to turn, it's "ok". Maybe if it worked last season and some condensation got into it, but not if it's been sitting stuck for several years. I'll be setting aside my allowance for a full kit, just in case. Not only did I potentially get "lucky", this tractor did as well.

When my parents married Dad told my Mother, "I will never take this wedding ring off as long as I live."
He was on hospice, very ill age 70, cancer. Mom was helping every day. One morning as she went to his bedside she saw his wedding ring lying on the floor by the bed. She couldn't find a pulse.

GordoSD, that was worth reading. Thanks for sharing.

Also found out as "dad" was dying, his grand-daughter was in labor with a baby boy, [b:b968a6e11c]same hospital[/b:b968a6e11c]. Haven't heard the name yet.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back