mixing engine oil

For many years, I have had a gut instinct that it might not be a good idea to mix brands of oils. The potential is an adverse and potentially damaging reaction between two different additive packages. As far as I know, I have never even heard of that happening, but the potential is there.

I'm not a fan of synthetic oils. I just don't see the advantage. They cost more. They do not significantly extend your oil change intervals - even according to the manufacturers. So, why spend the extra money?

Currently, my daily driver has 333,852 miles in it, and doesn't use any oil to speak of until it is time to change it. So, I say, to each their own. Use the oil you like!

I have heard of a couple instances where changing oil brands was blamed for the beginning of engine using oil. Not sure if changing brands was the cause, or if engine would of started using oil anyways (as in, it was just it's time to do so). Which ever the case, changing brands was blamed. I always figured the timing may of just been a coincidence. But I will say, one of the engines was one with low miles.

I have never heard of oil turning into tar though. Because of mixing oils or changing brands.

(quoted from post at 22:09:28 03/02/23) Has anyone noticed that GM builds engines that only run synthetic oil, like the Corvette. And it is widely held that you are to never put synthetic oil in a new engine because it needs friction to seat the rings. The answer is, they run the engines by electric motors without a pan or ignition to break them in before they are started. Separate oil systems and filter systems. JUst information you did not know you needed!!
hat isn't even possible for the Z06 flat plane crank engine, as it has no oil pan.

I have seen a 4440 Deere get the pickup screen plugged after oil was changed to Deere plus 50. Extea detergent really cleaned that engine and sludge plugged it.

Will get away with mixing PAO and Ester based with mineral oil.
PAG oil is another issue . Stay away from it unless the machine is speced to use the stuff. Often found in compressors .

When I bought the Farmall 806 gas thirty years ago , I used straight 30. It wanted to smoke at start up and used a little oil. I switched to 10w40. No more smoke. No more oil burning. I dont mix different oils.

(quoted from post at 11:29:05 03/02/23) I heard something like that back in the mid '70s.

Never seen it happen. I suspect it was just fear mongering of something new. I even heard if it was low, and you didn't have any synthetic oil, to top it up with water! How ridiculous was that!
ah, that's the gas tank you top off with water when you run out of gas. I was talking cars with a man on an airplane on the way to BWI. He said that for some mysterious reason a car can burn water for a few miles after it runs out of gas. He said that his buddies did it when he was a kid and they were too cheap to buy gas for their parents cars until they had to. Then he said that a while back, he got into BWI around midnight on a delayed flight and the rental car they gave him had an empty tank, just enough to strand him a few miles down 295. He only had a bladder full of warm salt water to work with, but the filler hose was at the right height and it did get him to the next gas station.

I didn't tell him that the pick up screen is a little above the bottom of the tank so all he did was raise the gas level a little bit. Why spoil it for him?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back