Modernizing 9.00-20 Split Rims on an F700 Truck

Lanse

Hey guys!

So, I recently purchased a clean, completely rustfree 1984 Ford F-700 dump truck for parts, and upon realizing that there didn't actually appear to be anything wrong with the truck, that it was complete and only has 78,000 miles on it and shouldn't take much to get it running, I've decided to consider keeping it instead of butchering it for parts.

One thing it would need, would be at least 4 new tires (2 fronts, 2 of the 4 rear) as the old front tires are bald and the rear ones are heavily cracked. Im not afraid to spend some money on this as I purchased the entire truck for very little money.

The tires all the way around are 9.00x20 tube type. The front wheels appear to be split rim and the back ones look like they're solid wheels but I'm not sure. Anyway, I know very little about these wheels.

1) How hard would it be to convert the front wheels to solid rims that will take a more modern tire size? I think if I found a new solid rim it would clamp right up to these hubs, but where would I find such a thing?
2) Would any modern tire sizes fit the existing from rims? I understand theres a new "format" for naming the tire sizes and 900-20 is pretty outdated, and 9.00-20 tires are hard to find and expensive

If anyone has any actionable information or other such feedback, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks guys!

image search

I should add that I think these are technically "lock ring" wheels instead of split rim. Im not sure - but I've seen lots of people use both terms in researching this...

I believe the newer tubeless, radial size which replaces the 900x20 is 10R22.5. Used or refurbished rims should be available. They will bolt right on that hub.

Thanks! Where would I find these sources?

Also, would there be problems fitting a tubeless tire on this rim? How air-tight is that locking ring?

Split rim or lock rim which ever you want to call them are pretty much the same when it come to a tire shop. The split rim is a tube type only on trucks. You can in fact switch to a 22.5 tubeless type rim on that I did so on my 1963 Diamond-T

I did this on my '64 F-600, went with 10.00 20's and changed the rims. This one had a 2 piece style rim.

Lance those are lock ring type truck rims not split rims. If the rear rims are the same You should be ok with them. You cannot put tubeless tires on them, those must have a flap and tube in them. Do your self a favor, take them to an experienced tire shop to have them done. They need to be bolted back on the truck straight. Yes you can find tubeless rims -- most bigger truck salvage yards can find them for you, probably have them in stock. A decent 9.00X 20 tire should cost you $185.00 to about 210.00 each put on the truck + new tube. If you do decide to go with tubeless rims a 11r22.5 steer tire should cost in the region of 225.00 to 250.00 each. 11r22.5 drive tire should run somewhere in the 275.00 to 300.00 each put on. These are tires I would have sold to someone who did a lot of driving, I realize you can find cheaper ones. I am just giving you something to look at.

This is what I have on the back, does anyone recognize this type? Can it go tubeless?
IMG_3550.jpg

Thanks for the help - might I ask how you got those prices? A 9.00-20 here in DFW costs $225 + tube + $30 for mounting it from the only place I found that actually has some

Lanse The type of wheel setup you have is called a Dayton wheel. You can get Dayton wheels that are tubeless. You just need to know your original hubs/rims where 20 inch. You can buy 22.5 tubeless rims that will fit your Dayton 20 inch hubs. The 22.5 tires are what is common on today's trucks. You then have many tire options. I run good used tires I buy in sets from truck salvage yards. Usually with 50% or more tread for $75-100 a tire.

Check for a heavy truck salvage yard around you. They should have the rims I am talking about. (PICTURE ABOVE) Steel rims with surface rust only would run $30-50 each here. Then just wire brush them off and paint them.
a237718.jpg

just get your self some 22.5 rims and for get the 20 inch. any truck junk yard will have 22.5 rims.seeing you had 900-20 on it 10r22.5 will be just about right but it will be easier to find metric size just about all trucking co. run metric now. 20 inch are a thing of the past and then you don't need tubes or flaps

A 1984 with that type of rims ? That seems strange to me ? From what little I see it is clean. IIRC you are from Ohio too and from up here nothing would be that clean ! Find you some nice pick ups and then bring them up to Ohio to resell !

ALL the rims are the same on that truck just the back ones on the out side are turned backwards of what they are on the front. If you look between the dual on the rear there is a spacer donuts sort of thing between the rims. I have change out hundreds of those things and probably have 50 or more on the place right now

There was or still is a place or someone this diesel shop across the road from me deals with in Massachusetts. He change them out, virgin fronts, re-tread on the rear, was over $1500.00. Mine were original to the truck, 8.25's were on it, would have to look at them again. I think that was the next standard size below the 9.00-20.00 ?

Lanse: The rim that JD shows is what you want. As for getting them straight just set a block beside the tire and as you tighten them up spin the wheel. I don not tighten them up completely one at a time. I usually draw up the to top ones some then do the bottom one that makes a triangle then spin it. This gives you some wiggle room for adjustment as you tighten them up when tight they should spin straight and be tight.
I worked for a harvest crew 3 years and was told I was the only one they saw ever get them straight. It is not that hard. If they run straight they last longer. If the spacer moves in or out from the hub as you tighten them junk it and replace it. I like the smooth ones with the sides curved out. Any tire shop should either have or can get the 22.5 rims you want.

Will 22.5 tires be significantly taller than the original 9.00-20 tires? Are low profile tires available to keep the same overall height? Ten to twenty percent larger tire diameter would reduce braking power, add speedometer error and act like a taller rear end ratio. Would it be wise to reduce the loaded weight by the about the same percentage as the increase in tire diameter?

Split rims were exactly that. The flat
surface of the rim was split. Those
were deemed illegal to us years ago.
It appears, as others have said, you
have a rim with a lock ring. These
can also be very dangerous if you're
not familiar with the safety
precautions or have a "cage " to air
them up in. Please don't try to
dismount and mount tires yourself
until you get "schooled" by a
competent shop on how to do it. It
was not uncommon in their day to hear
of that lock ring blowing off and
killings someone. They can be changed
safety, just have to know how. The
one piece 22.5 tubeless rim is an
exact fit replacement for 20" tube
type. May have to use a low profile
tire to avoid being to tall, but, if
you have the clearance: the 11x22.5
is the same basic size as 10.00x20
tube type. Those are quite common.

The trucks like the F700 came with either the 5 on 8" bolt circle wheel, or the 10 on 11.25" bolt circle wheel. The thing with going to a 22.5" wheel is that you have to run low profile 22.5 tires if you want to keep the truck at the same height as it is with the 9.00x20 tires/wheels. There is also a bolt on 5 on 8" bolt pattern 22.5" wheel that is custom made, or find another F700 with the 10 bolt wheels, and get what you need off of that.
http://www.wheelsnowinc.com/catalog/viewItem.php?id=1165

Lot of good advice so far.

There is nothing wrong with the split -ring- rims you have, good tire shop will work on them just fine.

There is one style that was a split -rim- that came apart more like an Oreo cookie, in the middle, that are not illegal, but insurance companies
no longer allow the shops to work on, and are called 'widowmakers'. Those type should be replaced.....

Your rims would be fine they are split -ring- with the ring on the outside by a sidewall. There were 4 or more common patterns of these, all fine.

A whole lot of good 9:00-20 tires can be found, often on the old widowmakers rims, also a lot of military tires of that size available for $50-80 in
great shape with tubes. If you look around.

Otherwise you can convert to any of the stuff others mention.

Paul

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back