More about Coca-Cola

RedMF40

I would tack this on to the other post, but folks seem to be sensitive about "hijacking" a subject. Me--I'd rather someone hijack my post because usually what I had to say wasn't that interesting to begin with ;-)

Here goes:

Years ago I read a history of the Coke company. It was pretty well-researched, one of the more interesting reads—and it helped that I was really into Coca-Cola back then. One interesting fact stayed with me: At the time that Coke was becoming popular—end of the 1800s to the early twentieth century, you had to buy it at a soda fountain or pharmacy—or, as was often the case—they were one and the same. You sipped a glass of Coke and passed the time of day with friends maybe.

Then one day two enterprising men approached who was then the president of Coca-Cola. Sorry, his name escapes me, been a long time. These two men wanted the rights to bottle the stuff and then sell the bottled Coke in stores. People could bring it home with them. The chief of Coca-Cola thought the idea ludicrous—who would want to do that? But he went along with the idea, probably since it meant more sales of the coke ingredients—principally the syrup needed to mix with soda water. He sold them the rights for a pittance, since he saw no future in it.

Early on, local families in small towns embraced the idea of these two men, and bought into it. Almost literally, they became millionaires overnight. When you drive through small-town America and see the Coke bottling facilities, many of them are in the same family that started them all those years ago. Hard to let go of a good thing.

I recall a town in Missouri—it was either Springfield or Jefferson—and they’d just stopped production of the little green bottles. It was in the papers, and my wife and I were driving cross-country. I insisted we stop in and visit the bottling facility. The man there showed us the ancient machinery, dating back to the 1920s. Only one man there could keep it all going, and that man had just retired, long after he should have stopped working. No one could really figure how to maintain the machinery and keep it functioning, so they stopped production. I’m sure there were other reasons as well, but that’s the one he gave us. They sold out of every last green bottle, but the manager generously offered us two bottles of Sprite in the bottles that were popular in the 1960s.

My remaining piece of Coke memorabilia is a working 1960s-era Coke machine with the bottles lined up on the left, behind a glass door. I remember a few of these still around when I was growing up. This one has the price of 15 cents still on it, and the coin mechanism and refrigerator still work. I can put different-size bottles in it, since it’s set up that way—so you can put in the beer and soda bottles of today. I haven’t tried the plastic coke bottles, feel that it would be too un-authentic.

A little more on the history that is not told. The reason they went to the new coke was that way they could break the contracts those mom and pop bottling companies had.
One family I knew had the contract for as much syrup as they could sell. When they stopped making the original Coke it wasn't worth the paper it was written on. Now most
all the Coke is bottled in company plants.

Can't stand Coke....Local Coke bottler has "something" on the city council of this town of 6,000...Every new caf? or restaurant that wants to open up has to sign a "coke products only" clause, or no permit....They even tried it with the local 2 day statehood celebration that brings in thousands of guests...worked for a few years, until venders fought it, with some refusing to return unless the policy changed. THAT woke the city council up (slightly) and they allowed it for the county fair and other celebrations.
Outside of the nasty taste, they have nasty business habits, too....

A long time ago I went to the Biedenharn museum where Coca-Cola was first made. It's in Vicksburg, Ms. Strangely enough the real original coke was made with cocaine. They might do a better business if they would bring back the original coke.

From Wikipedia:

"Joseph Augustus Biedenharn (December 13, 1866 ? October 9, 1952) was an American businessman and confectioner credited in the summer of 1894
with having first bottled the soda fountain drink, Coca-Cola, at his wholesale candy company building in Vicksburg, Mississippi. As he expanded
this business, he created a model of bottling-distributor franchises and built his company through this state, as well as Louisiana and Texas.

In 1913, he moved the manufacturing and bottling operations to Monroe, Louisiana, continuing to grow the business. With his son Malcolm and
other entrepreneurs, in 1925 he bought a crop-dusting business. They added eighteen planes to the fleet, making it the largest private one in
the world. They developed this business as Delta Air Lines, moving it later to Atlanta, Georgia. The Biedenharn family has had a philanthropic
tradition in both Vicksburg and Monroe, making major contributions to historic, educational, recreational and charitable purposes."

Started both Coca-Cola and Delta Airlines. Not bad for a little ole Mississippi/Louisiana boy.

When I was a kid, I would go to the John Deere dealer with my dad and get a
coke out of a machine for 5 cents. Not sure of the size, but they were small
bottles.

Nice read! I quit the canned stuff a couple years ago and only buy the glass bottle 8 oz bottles as they are made with real sugar and actually Taste like old Coke, and not the NASTY high fructose corn syrup that I have cut out of my life as it was the cause of my indigestion I found,, stuff is put in most everything these days instead of sugar which Sucks if they offered the same stuff without it for more coin I would only but real sugar products Gladly ,, anyway again liked the words did not know some of it
cnt

I worked for a Coke bottling plant for 9 years. Interesting business with the competition, marketing, costs, packaging, history of the company, peoples perceptions about things, what flavors sell well and what don't. Coke was the number one trade mark in the world. Don't know if it still is. The competition in the beverage business in like no other. Too many options from too few companies.

Maybe not known much, except out of the old south, early on
Coca Colas were locally called "dope"* when referred
to, as in "lets have a dope at the diner" or get a "dope" after
finishing a job on a hot summer day. We all know about the
"Ice Cold" slogan as well as the "pause that refreshes" used
in the advertising. My grandfather would buy a case at a time of
the small bottles. I think I still have a full wooden "slat" of
the empty bottles upstairs.
From time to time my dad would reflect to me how much he enjoyed
at taste of home, when he enjoyed a Cola while in service during
W W II in Europe. One of the small pleasures of all soldiers during that
time, (along with the captured wine).

*I, being close to seventy, remember the old timers
of my younger days using this term. gajack

CN1660 ...... your reply sent me searching and after doing a LOT of Googling and web surfing, you will find a good number of reliable articles (I think) that explain why there "might" be different taste perceptions when comparing bottled vs canned Coke, BUT I doubt very much that you will find anything documented as to the company using different sugars in their recipes for the two versions. The company itself claims the recipe is exactly the same from what I read. Here's one of many articles on the topic below, there are countless others with similar explanations for Coke and other soft drinks/soda/pop. But if you find anything to back up your reply, I'd like to read it so post it here when you find something.
Bottled vs Canned Coke ......

I buy mine in the twelve ounce glass bottles made with sugar.It's a product of Mexico.Are the eight ounce bottled south of the border too?Hard to beat an ice cold Coke poured into a glass of ice cubes.Very interesting reading about the history of Coke.

the stuff I buy is made in Mexico, I was told it did not have the nasty stuff but you made me check,, it Does have it but its as close to old Coke as I have ever had since they quit making it,, sadly now that I know it does indeed have the corn syrup I will stop buying it also,, that explains yesterday when I got some indigestion after drinking two of them which I never do,, dang I was sure liking it,, I hate any thing with other sweeteners and or diet pop,, oh well I LOVE water, cant even get the truth on whats in pop lol have any of you tried the gator aid flavor lime and cucumber yet? it really is Good
cnt
a280573.jpg

Yes, I saw several references to Mexico-made Coke ..... I didn't realize that there was such a thing, but really, it is just another country I guess like Canadian Coke, etc. Not sure what exact size that bottle of Coke in your photo was (sounds like 8 ounces) but here's info from a 355 mL can of Canadian-made Coke ... and 355 mL equals approximately 12 fluid ounces. I see here that one serving is one can (yours says one serving is one 8 oz bottle).

*355 mL 140 calories 25mg sodium

total carbohydrate 39 grams (all 39 grams are sugar)

Also says (printing sideways on the can) that it contains carbonated water, sugar fructose-glucose, caramel color, phosphoric acid, natural flavor, and caffiene (34 mg per 355 mL can).

Recipe looks the same, numbers are about 50% higher on my can here but it is about 50% bigger (12 oz vs 8 oz). So we are drinking or mixing with essentially the same crap ..... ha !!!!

That's pretty interesting. In the Des Moines area there is Atlantic Bottling. I remember hearing on the radio Van and Bonnie were talking about them and Atlantic grew up out of something like an old time pharmacy in Atlantic IA got bought out in the early 1900's or something like that and in the sale was a very old license for Coca Cola. Eventually they just concentrated on Coke which proved to be a good decision.

(quoted from post at 11:05:25 09/21/18) Sugar is sugar, they just call it different things so they don't have to list it as the first ingredient.

huh?
sugar is sugar
as much as
oil is oil

First ingredient is always the major ingredient.

But like I say, if they put in fourteen different sweet things they don't have to list sugar as the first ingredient.

seem to me as kid 65 years ago that the coke bottles had the name of the plants town on the
bottom of the glass bottles the filling station had a coke box they kept ice in and the
bottles sat in the ice water and number of the guys would would pick up 3-5 bottles each and
look at the bottom of the bottles and who ever was odd man out on names on bottom would have
to buy

I find things taste different from can to glass with the same exact recipe. Glass is the best packaging but is way to heavy for shipping costs. I believe the plant in Mexico making 8 oz glass bottles is the only plant making that size package and doing it in glass.

My wife gets indigestion from Coke with Corn Sweetener, too. So, we buy the Mexican version but ours does NOT have 'corn sweetener'--I checked. It's in 12oz. bottles. One other thing is the glass bottles have a use by date of June, 2019. Plastic bottles never go past a date more than 3 months in the future. Plastic must lose the carbonation which would affect flavor.

For the "Cola Wars" of the past, they are conspicuously absent now. When I pick up a bottle of artisanal iced tea from some little brand, upon close inspection I see that it is usually coming from the Coca-Cola company. It's of no consequence for them to buy up these little outfits and assimilate them. Wonder if there's actually any profit in it, however? There are still some small brands that do their own thing, but I imagine they are waiting to be bought out.

The "Pepsi Challenge" was a big thing. I remember as a kid taking the challenge at an airport where the eager young Pepsi reps were offering Coke and Pepsi samples. Not sure what the point of this was, but I could tell right away which one was Coke. And that's the one I liked better.

I think--like with some wars--some kind of truce has been made between the two giants--Coke and Pepsi. It would not surprise me if they've agreed to a "back-room deal" whereby they target different demographics, allocate advertising accordingly, and generally try to work around each other. May be more profitable for both sides--but who am I to say? On a local level, it's clear who has the concession for such things like our county fair (Pepsi). As you know, when this is the case, you won't see one product from the other company there.

Lastly, and excuse the long-windedness of this--I'd really like to see a snapshot of a beverage case in a gas station of the 1950s or '60s. Did such a thing exist? Wasn't the soda machine out front enough? I walk into the local Shell station and quickie-mart and just laugh at the assortment of beverages--most of which I've never heard of. Beverage case along one wall, then another along the back wall. Enough variety for ya?

When I was a kid the drink boxes came 2 ways one was it had cold water in it to cool the drinks and the other was one that had the necks of the bottles between rails and the buyer
slide them down to a metal gate like thing that let a drink out once the nickel was dropped in the slot.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back