More on the refrig- parts and schematic pics

Jim in NC

I appreciate your indulgence on this topic. I remembered last night I should have mentioned the
main reason I, and family members, questioned the defrost heater. The back panel of the freezer
stays frosty. The last time I went behind the panel and checked connections, and had to unplug the
drain tube the coils were iced up pretty good. It was easy to believe the heater is bad. I think
I am gonna get another bimetal defrost thermostat, install it, and remember to check the continuity
of the defrost heater this time and go from there.

cvphoto162433.jpg

cvphoto162435.jpg

cvphoto162436.jpg

cvphoto162437.jpg

Jim do the evaporator coils build up with frost or is it ice? Frost could indicate a defrost issue or a problem with the doors not sealing. Is there a full frost pattern on the evaporator? If not then it could be an actual refrigeraton problem. Also make sure that the lights inside do shut off when the doors are closed. Door switch problem. If its building up with actual ice then maybe the defrost thermostat ( bi-metal ) is opening up to soon and shutting off the defrost cycle. Then try replacing the defrost thermostat. Good luck! Tom in Mn

It's easy to test the thermostat. In ice it will be open. Room temperature closed. Yes test the heater for continuity. Also turn the timer until the refrigerator stops. It is in defrost then. Check the voltage to the heater and if it isn't 120 or very close replace the timer.

In your other post I asked if the model number was correct and you said it was, but it appears you left the ''6'' out, 106.788321 vs. 106.7688321.

But, no matter, even with the correct model number not much parts info comes up.

Jim do the evaporator coils build up with frost or is it ice?

Ice would indicate the drain is blocked.
I've seen blocked drains a few times.

I agree; turn the timer.
I don't think it will defrost if you have the door open. I may be wrong.

Ice and not frost may indicate a blocked drain.

Yep missed the 6. I have typed that number so many times searching parts that my thumbs are numb.

Yes George ice can indicate that there is an issue with the drain but if there is actually ice built up on the coils then there is another issue. Incomplete defrost, low on refrigerant to name a couple. Tom in Mn.

George you cannot initiate a defrost on flextray system. To program them you need to remove the icemaker and put the pastic gears in a certain position to get it in a defrost mode. Tom in Mn

Been looking for this pic. It was taken about 2 months ago. I had to clear the drain tube.

cvphoto162493.jpg

My GE defrost heater is a heat lamp.. easy to see if burnt out. without defrost, it frosted all up and greatly reduce cooling of Fridge.(55) Freezer stayed cold !1

Jim if that is how the evaporator looks now as far as frost build up and I was still doing service work I would change the defrost bi-metal but make sure that it is secure to the evaporator. Could be that its opening prematurely and shutting off the heater. Usually when a unit is not defrosting at all the whole evaporator will be completely frosted over. Again make sure that you dont have an air leak (ie) door gaskets and make sure that you dont have a light staying on in either the fridge or freezer section to add to the heat load. Tom in Mn

Oh and also whirlpool makes an aluminium heat probe that attaches to the defrost heater and goes into the drain hole to eliminate freezing up just make sure that the drain is completely unplugged from gunk.

The light switches work fine. Also I was thinking about changing the thermostat as well. In the past I have put a battery powered light in the refrig and looked for light around the doors. I will do that again.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back