willie in mn

Well-known Member

I don't burn wood. Neighbor had a crew on a Saturday afternoon, actually too many guys, kept getting in each other's way. Broke handle on splitter valve, came knocking on my door. Made up a temporary handle to get them back in business.
1-Lifting with machine sure beats doing it by hand when we were young. One of the guys was in hurry so he cut the chunks on the ground, but he had to lift them to the splitter himself.
2-Lots easier on the back to cut logs standing up instead of bending over.
3-catch table holds half log while operator splits the other half to stove size. Better than dropping on ground & picking up again. Last guy packs wood into pallet cage, ready to move to storage area. Only takes 10-15 seconds to switch Bobcat from grabber to regular forks.
4-oops, hit that one twice.
Setup works best with only 2 people. First one sets 4 or 5 logs on rack, then cuts to length & rolls to splitter. Second man stands between splitter & pallet cage, can run valve, catch chunks & stack in cage.
Don't know where the log rack came from, but it was free & it does the job. Will be rebuilding the catch tables on splitter, raise to level with top of beam. Have made a permanent handle for splitter valve. Scrap of 1/2 rod, a little heat, a BFH on the anvil. Couldn't salvage the knob on original, so formed a loop on the end.
Nice guys to work with. They call for problem solving & shop skills, not for my strong back.
E-mail is open if anyone has any questions.
Willie
a143893.jpg

a143894.jpg

a143896.jpg

a143896.jpg
 
I'm still using them old fords to help process my firewood from my woods to the woodshed. The forklift and one arm loader help with my back and make cutting while standing upright easier. Lifting with the 640 bucket I can drive right into the shed to unload. Of course I don't have guys falling all over me to give me a hand. Basically a one man operation so I do what I have to do.

Kirk
103_0272_zps4b45bda0.jpg
 
Kirk
Nice line of equipment. I was always thinking of easier ways to get the job done, & spend other people's money. Looks like you too have learned to use your brain instead of your back.
But you are handling the wood to many times. Good setup so far. You already have a forklift, so the next step of making cages would be easy & cheap. Then a rack or table for sawing & not have to lift chunks onto splitter & you are there. A little trial & lots of errors to see what works best.
These guys have a couple dozen pallet cages made up & once filled, let them sit in storage area until needed. Then just move the whole thing to the house. Being built on a hillside with drive up basement door makes things really handy.
Willie
 
The way I stack them up in the wood shed screened pallets would take up too much room. The system I have seem to work for me but I'm always looking for ideas to cut time and save the back. Felling and Skidding them off the mountain takes up most of the time.

Kirk
KodakEasyshare-Kirkscomputer421_zps06633874.jpg
 
Good set up.
What's the tank on the 640 for? Looks like a see-thru indicator for fluid level Something my jungle gym loader is sorely lacking.
 
Willie,
Like your set up! Especially liked the table at the end of the splitter. In the process of doing a catch table at the end of my recently purchased used splitter. Wonder why that is not an option on new splitters.
Mr. T. Minnesota
 
Nice---was wondering, whose head went through the horizontal 2x4 on the pallet cage...I can almost visualize it! OUCH

Tim
 
It's a temp gas tank. Bought this 640 as a ran when parked this past fall. Needs carb rebuild and tank cleaned. So I stuck a temp tank and a carb off an NAA on it. I'll get around to changing it out someday.

Kirk
 
A man after my heart. Covering up your tractor. If your tractor or other equipment sits outside, Is it really that hard to place a cover over it? Some people seem to think so. My neighbor has a nice lawn mower, John Deere no less, that sits out behind his house year round. Doing this is why so many seats are trash after a few years along with the paint. Anyway, The really bad part of this is he has plenty of room in his garage if he would just move things around a little.
 
Anything outside I keep covered. No more room in the garage or barn they're loaded with tractors. I spend a lot on traps each year so I have been slowly picking up used free truck bedliners. They fit quite nice over some of the loader tractor and don't rot.

Kirk
 
My gosh! Your stand up splitter is my identical Twin, always thought I had a Twin! including white hair and beard! BTW you might warn him to stay outta Winslow Az for awhile..in case they are still looking for a white haired/bearded guy involved in a Liquor Store Robbery there recently ..hahaha..just kidding!..I don't have a twin brother!
 
Thanks for all the comments on the wood setup. It all belongs to 2 neighbors. I am just the thinker behind the scenes, always finding an easier way to get the job done, & rescue guy when they run into problems.
Located at Pine City Mn, about 60 miles no of Mpls-St Paul.
Willie
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top