about my other parts B. Motor stuck, 2
cylinders have rust, 2 good and clean.
Block busted ( water jacket). Why can't I
push the 2 stuck pistons and sleeves out
of this one and the 2 good ones out of
that, and make one run? Use the same rods
and bearings? I'm thinking I would need
new o rings? Thoughts?

while you are in there check the oil pump cover for excessive wear, and be sure the relief valve is loose.

Fortunately both Bs were really cheap. And I don't have a deadline! Will piddling with it over the winter.

Back a number of years ago I had a broken into pieces A come in due to rolling down a Hill and hitting a tree. I also had a B with a lock up engine that was very badly rusted up. So I took the sleeves etc. out of the broken A which had the front and rear mount area of the block broken and took the 2 tractors and built my BA I now use to mow hay with so yes that could be done

The crank needs to be plastigauged on assembly. One or the other may have been ground or polished. looking at the inserts will also tell what size bearings are in each Some could be undersized (indicating a ground crankshaft) Jim

sure u can do that, as u said you only want it running without spending money. i suggested removing the loose pistons before. just make sure you have the same size rod brgs on both engines. yes new o rings and rings if the old ones are worn too much . same with the rod brgs. make sure its plastigauged on assembly. new is .0015 so even if you have .0035 it will pass 10-40 oil. but have less oil pressure. these old engines will run when worn out also. i call them slappers cause they have extra clearances. might have to put that pan cake syrup in the oil pan,lol.

I would just keep working the crank back and forth, maybe you would eventually free up all pistons... More than likely rings are stuck in ring lands, with working at them a little at a time you can get the rings free., just takes time and patents..
I would get some penetrating oil and soak the piston IF the rings are stuck,,,and not syrup and OR ATF...LOL LOL
Even WD 40 is better than ATF, and I have never been a fan of WD 40... Have fun

By the way I had a great visit with Arlen widow couple weeks ago, she is doing as well as can be expected...

Original bore was 3 inches. Very common replacement sleeve/piston sets were 3-1/8 bore. You want to make sure your mix-and-match are all the same diameter. Different pistons for different compression ratios too. You want them to match.

If they don't match but you still want to stay on the cheap, at least put one size in 1 - 4 and the other in 3 - 2. Otherwise, you will need some green paint.

Boy must be getting old and forgetful,,rings will be stuck in the groves, lands are the piston part in between the rings groves.. LOL LOL

i know what your talking about... basically the same thing. they still will be stuck for sure. many times they have to be removed in pieces. its not your first rodeo or mine either.

So if he takes parts from two different Bs, puts them together does that make the finished tractor a Farmall Bee Bee.. LOL LOL LOL

Kevin I commend you and your wife on saving alot cubs and tractors that would of been been scrapped. Look at the bright side as you now know what 2 pistons are stuck.As others have said, rule out the chance of other pistons being different size on other motor.I think your best bet is to pull all sleeves and put new o rings in once pistons are free. Keep posting updates as alot of us enjoy seeing your next project

I do not ever take anything for granted.....

Previous Owen-er-Syndrome can bite you in the Arsss.

Consider everyone's input,then dis-guard the waste of timers and go for Gold.

I have received crankshafts that were dropped off at the Machine shop,that were accompanied with a selection of NOS various sized Shells. Owner told head machinist,(my brother and owner of shop)Turn Journals and use these inserts!

Bob...
cvphoto168028.jpg

cvphoto168029.jpg

cvphoto168030.jpg

cvphoto168031.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back