Mounting a year a round cab on a 3020 John Deere

I am sure this is not a new question, but I am new here and had a time of it just figuring out how to post a question. If I am in the wrong spot , please forgive me. I was given a year a round cab off a international tractor that I would like to put on my 1966 vintage 3020 John Deere tractor. I grew up with them on 4020 tractors and don't mind the noise so there is that LOL. My circulation is not what it used to be and the main goal of the cab is to have a heater when pushing snow in the winter. I don't farm any more so A/C isn't a big issue, I just play with it mostly and occasionally help others out with it. My problem is I don't have the mounts for the John Deere tractor since it came of a International tractor. I believe it to be a earlier vintage than the QT1 since the door hinges on the front opening up like a car door does. Ours was more like a suicide door. I am opperating on the assumption the cabs were fairly basic and the brackets and filler panels were mostly what was different. So I am needing either to find John Deere type brackets to fit the cab or even pictures of how the brackets fit so I could make them. Right now I am flying blind and so far haven't been able to find them. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.[/b][b:6bd51e391d][/b:6bd51e391d][color=blue:6bd51e391d][/color:6bd51e391d]

I would find a salvage yard and try to
get the correct mounts. They should be
fairly easy to get. Where are you?
There is one near me that will most
likely have those parts, but you would
have to look for them.

My son has a 4010 with a year round cab. He
is going to take it off, but not this fall
or winter. I will try to get pictures of
brackets. Probably not much different than
IH. If it is from a 806.

I have been trying that, unfortunately haven't found any yet. I don't have many near me, It seems most of the bigger ones are near you. I have one outfit from Minnesota telling me he probably has them , but so far hasn't confirmed that unfortunately. Wish I was near one, it seems they are a lot more plentiful in Iowa and Minnesota.

that would be helpful, I am a descent fabricator and could probably make them, but my shop isn't tall enough to do this inside where I can leave it hang, I am forced to do it outside, so I am hoping to reduce the time as much as possible LOL

Larson imp. 763 689 1179. The person to
ask in this case is Lance. You will
need to go get it tho.

Thanks, I might give him a call, but that is a long way to go for brackets, not sure If I am that desperate yet LOL if he doesn't ship them.

something that would be helpful if someone has one already mounted on a 3020 or 4020 is to know the mounting height from the axle to either the cab frame or the hinge center pin and also how far back is the pin from the axle assuming it is behind the axle?

Back in the 70's I supervised mounting several new Y-A-R & Hiniker cabs on JD & IHC tractors but I don't remember any dimensions. Without correct mounting brackets & filler plates I think your on an UPHILL BATTLE.

Poor boys have poor ways I guess LOL I already had to make new door hinges after grinding off somebody's idea of a slobbered on gate hinge, so I guess the battle has already started ! Let the challenge begin! Hopefully some one will have some pictures and can measure theirs. Do you think the 4020 brackets were the same? they might be more likely to find. I am more concerned with the tubs over the rocker shafts in reality. Of course if I don't get the hinges correct it won't matter if I did find the tubs LOL

It would be nice to know where you are from. Hard to give reasonable answers on parts when we don't know if you are across the country from a possible parts source. My advice would be to walk away from that cab. Craigslist searches usually show a few complete cabs for sale 'here'. Most decent looking ones are under $700. And they won't be the oldest model out there with the front hinge doors.

I am located near Mattoon IL. about 200 miles south of Chicago and probably 150 east of St Louis. I haven't quite got it figured out how to set up the profile completely yet, sorry. You are probably correct unfortunately they are not near as plentiful in this area as they are up north . Once in awhile one shows up but is usually gone by the time I find it. So I will move on with my journey. I am good at projects most people would walk away from just not as eager as I used to be LOL

I am located near Mattoon IL. about 200 miles south of Chicago and probably 150 east of St Louis. I haven't quite got it figured out how to set up the profile completely yet, sorry. You are probably correct unfortunately they are not near as plentiful in this area as they are up north . Once in awhile one shows up but is usually gone by the time I find it. So I will move on with my journey. I am good at projects most people would walk away from just not as eager as I used to be LOL

Asking $525. St Louis craigslist. Been posted over a month. Probably buy it for less.

mvphoto26851.jpg

Take the doors and windows, filler plates and even the roof off the cab. The bare frame doesn't weigh that much. Now hang it from the shed rafter and roll the tractor under it.
Now let it down with a come-along into position. It will then be obvious how to fabricate the mounts.

If my garage was tall enough , that would work, lol just don't want to do it out side for long periods hanging from a loader if I can help it.

Free isn't always the least expensive way to go. You may be months searching and paying more for a set of mounts than an entire cab complete and ready to mount will cost you, and you will most certainly find a whole cab a lot easier, and a better cab because it will probably be a QT1.

Sometimes those old cabs decrease the price of tractors compared to an open station tractor with fenders as replacement fenders can approach $500. Fall and early Winter may be the worst time to look for a cab because the seasonal demand for them is at the peak in snow country. Is trading your fenders for someone's cab an option or is trading tractors an option? $600 will buy a brand new HeatHouser, they help a lot if the tractor is working hard enough to throw some heat back to the operator. Mid 1970's factory cabs are light years ahead of 1960s cabs for noise and comfort. Deere 4030, 4230, 4430, Case 870, 970, 1070 might be low cost upgrades, take a look at those before spending a lot of money and time for an 1960's cab.

Unless you have a celing in your garage that limits what you can do as long as the mounted cab will clear the door you can do it inside.

(quoted from post at 07:43:15 11/17/18) Unless you have a celing in your garage that limits what you can do as long as the mounted cab will clear the door you can do it inside.
Feeling like I am repeating myself here, to repeat, the garage ceiling will not allow me to put it on inside, second I am not concerned about the value, I am building it for my comfort, I have a spare set of fenders so even if I were to lose a set I can always take the cab off. I just got through rebuilding the motor sleeves and all so not trading it. Ok so all that said I am most likely going to put this cab on because I have it unless one just comes on. I checked on the above cab he wanted 475 and he had someone coming to look at it. So while I know there are 200 dollars cabs I probably won't find one and I have one in my shop. Anyway thanks for all the input and suggestions, if anyone has a set of brackets or knows of some, give me a holler. Thanks if not by the time I am ready I will make some. Thanks a lot

I stumbled on to a Henniker cab off a 4520 yesterday and the guy is more reasonable, unfortunately it is 250 miles away again LOL would it mount on my 3020? I seen one in a sale bile that said it would only fit a 3020 so I was curious if it would really be different?

Project update: I have the tractor and the cab frame painted and on the tractor including mounts, and I will get the windows and doors on in the next couple of days. Its working out ok so far, It would have been nice to had a cab a little further along, but I would have painted it anyway so its not that big a deal. It appears I can install the fenders back on the tractor just by looking at it, I have to do a little measuring and repaint them as well if they will fit. I have to make the plates to enclose the floor differences and I have to make the tubs to go around the rocker shafts as well but it is coming along nicely so far. I will post pictures when I have it done, thanks for all the comments, I do appreciate the advise even if I didn't take it all lol. One thing I had hoped for but was not sure of is it will just fit under my garage door by 2" with these worn tires hopefully new tires will still allow it to fit. I don't store it in this garage, but I do work on it in it. I knew it would fit in my pole barn, that was a plus for sure !! Hopefully by getting it ready for winter, we won't need it!! Merry Christmas all.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back