Move'n a house trailor?

kyplowboy

Well-known Member
Got a question. With out getting into legal issues, can this work? Got an old house trailor, 10X36 I think, maybe 40". Needs to be moved about 10 miles, needs new axils and tires. Two fair size hills to go down. How many of you would try this with a 92 F350, 7.3, duals, 4X4, 5 speed, good tires and breaks.

Thanks in advance.

Dave
 
Pulled a bigger one with a big Ford. Can't remember if it was the 250 or 350 no duallys. Didn't have any problems.
 
I'm not sure about the 36'. There may be some restrictions in your state about that. But, coming from an RV manufacturer area, anymore many or even most travel trailers are at least 30' long, and are 10' wide. Although I haven't screwed around with RV's in decades, I'd venture to guess that the 5th wheel units are every bit of 36' long.

You're going to need tags, and probably insurance to get tags. You own the thing, its not like you're a transport service. But...you aint pulling that thing down the road without tags, or at least not far if the sheriff or whom ever sees you. And it oughta be safe, including lights.

Good luck.
 
Seen trailers moved with a three day permit in the back window. Way cheaper than to license. Insurance on a trailer is covered under the tow vehicles policy. This advise may vary from state to state....
 
By the way, I remember seeing a couple of guys back in the mid '70's that worked for a transport service hook up to a 12x60 Skyline mobile home with a then new 1 ton Dodge, LP powered 440. Back then everyone was using 2.5 ton Internationals, Chevys, Fords. But, there were these two guys in there 1 ton Dodge, and I guess they needed the money bad because that 12x60 nearly killed that little truck. Everyone with a decent sized toter told them they were nuts, and they were. Man did that thing squat like a 400 pound guy sitting on a shetland pony. I saw them take off down the road with it, and pretty sure they got there...across town. Never saw them again. Your little trailer? No problem, but has to be legal.
 
Like always I was have'n second thoughts, just thinking that a truck would make for a faster trip than a 6700 ford tractor would. Going to have some one in front and in back with 4 ways flashing. I have found axils, wheels, tires to bolt up.

Should make a good early Sunday morning project pretty soon. Has to be done by mid April, will post back and tell yall how it went if I do it.

Thanks for the support guys!! I know you all would never get a boy in trouble!!!

Dave
 
We move 14X35 about 15 miles in our county with a Massey Ferguson 1100 tractor. Used the backroads with an escort vehicle front and back. Took most of the day,but sure was easy to manuver in and out of spaces with the big tractor and drawbar hookup.
 
i would consider using a good sized tractor. with a truck is a little on the dangerous side. with a 5 speed is better because then you have the engine to assist youon those hills. but if possible i would find a tractor.
DF in WI
 
i would consider using a good sized tractor. with a truck is a little on the dangerous side. with a 5 speed is better because then you have the engine to assist youon those hills. but if possible i would find a tractor.
DF in WI
 
Back roads are a no go!! All the back road routs with out going all over the county involve lots of steep hills and sharp turns. I have pulled tobacco wagaons around on all the back roads and they are hard to get around some of the turns and the center pipe will drag on some of the hills.

Pretty much going to have to stay on the two lane state roads as much as possible.

Thanks.

Dave
 
From all the unlicensed trailers being pulled thru southern Indiana by KY-licensed cars and trucks, I'd wager that trailers in KY may not have to be tagged. At least it was always that way with horse trailers, so I figure laws regarding the others can't be much different.

And I won't even comment on the KY rigs and lights.
 
Older trailers: eastern built, heavier construction, plainer on the outside--western built, lighter const, flashier on the outside.
How heavy is that thing?? How steep are those downgrades?? Any brakes on those trailer axles?? Anyplace on those downgrades some idiot could pull out in front of you, not knowing how good ?? your braking was?? Have room to move it around a little before you hit the road, to see how it feels??
Many states have special permits to tow unlicensed vehicles one-way for a single trip that're cheaper than having to license, but they might not like your tow vehicle. Good luck.
 
For it's size it is pretty heavy. Very solid frame under it, don't know about the inside but seems solid. The down grades aren't too steep, just long. Both hills should not have any one pull out in front of me, no real drive ways or inetersections, and both are strait shot. No breaks on axles. It is on a side street in town, was going to play with it on the side street before I hit the high way to make sure it would stop, if it don't feel good I will leave it and get it the next chance with a tractor.

Was just wander'n if any one on here had done this, how it worked out, and how many of us would try it.

Thanks

Dave
 
I am sure there is something that is suposed to be on this thing roll'n down the road. It's 10' wide and all but that is neather here nor there. As for "normal" trailors, the way I understand it, in KY they don't have to be tagged if for personal or farm uses. I can haul my cows around with me every where I go with out tags and be fine. If I put one of yours on there, I need tags. I can haul a lawm mower around every where and be fine till I get paid for mow'n your yard.

Also, never ever swap work haul'n grain in KY, if any body important ask. If you are haul'n your brother's corn because he shelled yours last week, never ever own up to it!!!

Dave
 
Hi Dave,

A 10x36 will only wiegh about 10k, empty. Depends on you road way width of how much problems you'll have. You'll need your mirrors out past the MH width. A piece of 1-1/2sq tubing works well for temporary extending the mirrors or modified clamp on fender/door mounted mirrors.

Use the center line to judge your side clearances. Always take what roadway you need and the other vehicles will move. It's just like playing "chicken" when you were a kid.

I pulled a 14x75 (25kGVW) from Colorado to Arizona, about 650miles, one time with a 1-1/2 ton Dodge. That was a feat in and half as Colorado roadways are only 12ft wide on the route that DOT "required" me to take.

Your pilot cars must block the roadway when you need all the roadway or the other cars will go around your pilot car. This happened to me on Slick Rock pass in Colorado.

I had sent the pilot car(my Dad) ahead to the top of the pass to block all traffic. I gave specific instructions to pull sideways accross the roadway to block traffic. He didn't do that.

I'm in a sharp right hand corner with my tractor in the burm ditch on the left side of the road and my trailer just misssing the right side guard rail doing 10mph when here comes a semi truck blowing down the grade.

I have my tractor just over the center line but my trailer is still in the left lane as the semi approchs. The semi driver sees the mistake he's made and locks his trailer brakes and goes into the bar pit ditch and that rips open the top right side of his van trailer on the rock overhang.

As he passed my trailer end, He misses my trailer by 4". I had already opened my cab door and was ready to jump as there was only a 500ft cliff on my right side and I ain't going down there.

This was all because my pilot car didn't see a need to block the roadway and the trucker got impaitent and went around him.

I do know one thing, if I had to do it all over again, I'd hire the professionals in a heart beat.

T_Bone
 
Whenever I have to move something like that, we do it early Sunday mornings to avoid traffic. Never had a problem yet. Kurt
 
Can't be much different than say loading a 4020 on a 32' gooseneck and headin down the road. See that done all the time. Hitch it up and try it around the yard to see how it feels. Good luck. Keep her under 60.
 
Wouldn't be afraid to hook one that size behind a tractor,a one ton truck? I don't see the problem I guess. Shouldn't be that heavy. I won't pull big ones with a tractor anymore though. got talked in to moving a 14x70 a few years back,against my better judgement. The moron had me turn on a narrow corner when I wanted to go to the next one. I laid it right on it's side in a ditch. Took out a stop sign. Never again!
 
My truck is the same as your's,a couple of years newer but the same and I pull my 35' Fifth Wheel Trailer ,weighs 15,560lbs any where I want to go on hard surface roads.Granted it is not 10' wide but the secret I think in any pulling,towing situation is "Slowing & Stopping" the thing. Good Brakes on the towed unit is a requirement other wise let a Proffesional do it. Don't see any problem with your job except for braking,none if the trailer is equipped with operational Brakes.My opinion,right?-wrong? JC
 
Before I used my own pickup, I would sure at least check out the price of having a professional move the trailer. The ones I have employed had special semi tractors with hitches that could be hydraulically lifted to raise the tongue of the trailer. And since they did it all the time, they knew what they were doing, rather than learning as they went, like I would have been.

The last mobile home I had was still very livable and usable, but I wondered if I was actually going to have to PAY someone to take it off my hands. In the end, I felt very fortunate to get $2K for it and did not pay for the hauling. I did have to work many hours getting the mobile home unblocked and ready to move, however.

Are you sure you really want the old mobile home? Good luck!
 
Fellow I know tried that,trailer broke in half, cost big bucks to clean up the mess.I ve seen professional hauler get in trouble.If the driveway goes up hill they are stuck when the back end gets stuck in the highway.Some trailers are rotten and will fall apart when you try to move them.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top