My favorite tractor

When I was growing up on a small farm in NJ we had a pony tractor. Unfortunetely when I joined the Navy my Dad and grandfather sold it when they sold the farm. I would love to have another one of these beautiful versatile little tractors that could do almost anything. We used ours for hauling wagon loads of wood, plowing snow and just about anything else including pulling a few trees that we cut down. The best thing about them was thier small size. They could fit in places that larger tractors just couldn't get in to which was perfect for snow plowing. Driveways and tight areas were no problem to clear out. We also used to give hay wagon rides around our farm with it. I have very fond memories of our Pony and think that it was just about the most useful general purpose small tractor.
 
Yup,that was the first tractor I ever drove. Even before I drove the 8N Ford. We had one here for one winter. It had hydraulics and a snowblade. Dad bolted a piece of blocking to the clutch so I could reach it. Guess I must have been about 5. I know I made him feel awful bad,but I remember crying when he sold it. I asked him why he did. He was pretty sympathetic to me,but he said it wasn't big enough to farm with. He jockeyed a lot of tractors back then,and it was just one he took in on trade that went out of here like the rest of'em.
 
My great Uncle , born around 1900 had two prewar Model A John Deeres . My Father bought them at the Estate Sale in 1971. They were lost in the late 70's as my Father fell victim to the farm crisis and a bad divorce. Am an avid collector now but would give all my tractors to have those two back. One of lifes sad facts is I can't keep everything. My wife reminds me daily lest I forget.
 
You described my childhood, more or less. I was fortunate enough to have a Grandfather who had a Farmall Cub. It seemed like he spent a lot of time underneath the Cub changing cultivators to sickle mower, etc. That Cub is gone somewhere, but not forgotten. Thanks for the memories!
 
You described my childhood, more or less. I was fortunate enough to have a Grandfather who had a Farmall Cub. It seemed like he spent a lot of time underneath the Cub changing cultivators to sickle mower, etc. That Cub is gone somewhere, but not forgotten. Thanks for the memories!
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top