My haying set up

mvphoto64334.jpg

mvphoto64335.jpg

mvphoto64336.jpg

mvphoto64337.jpg

mvphoto64338.jpg

mvphoto64339.jpg

Had a good year for making hay in north Wisconsin. I have timothy, orchard, alfalfa, bluegrass, and chicory. The majority of the 40 acres is hay field. The line up is IH666 diesel, 954 Ford 6' brush hog I use in certain situations, 401 New Idea rake, Farmall M, 27V sickle, one standard large hay wagon and one tiny wagon for picking rocks, and one JD 14T in great shape and one for parts. I am so happy with all the machines and wouldn't trade them for any newer "better" equipment. The barn is filled with small squares for as long as they last this winter. This is a one woman show. I let the bales drop and go back after baling and pick them up one by one and go stack them in the barn. Farming is my favorite job. That, and trimming horse feet. The snow we just had the last two weeks is mostly melted now, so I couldn't resist a picture or 6 of my cute little line up.

Hope I got those numbers right. Maybe the rake is a 402 now that I think again. Sickle could be a number off, too! I haven't had to mess with the rake or sickle at all this year, no breakdowns, so I forgot! Last baling day was Oct 10. Then, Oct 20, the big snow storm came. That took care of any more baling for the year. That, and the lack of daylight and cold nights.

That's the nicest looking hay I've seen on this forum! And it looks like a near perfect mix for horses. I'm located about 4 miles
north of US Highway 10 which is what we use as a demarcation line north of which we do not plant 100 day corn. I experienced the
same Oct snow although possibly not quite as much. I've renamed my part of Wisconsin "Central Siberia". (;>))

Me too, but pulled by an R John Deere, a good baling tractor! Then we got a newer JD baler with a kicker and I filled many wagons with that, it really worked well behind the R!

Lookin good! It's a good feeling to have the hay in the barn when winter is approaching. Good job!

Thank you all for the encouragement and it was fun to read your comments. Central Siberia for sure! The bucket on the IH muffler isn't too bad to put on and take off. I just stand on a front tire and reach right up there. Putting the coffee mug on the M is actually harder!

That's some nice looking hay. ....But a coffee mug on a muffler? Really??? *lol*

Do you sell your hay or do you have livestock? Just curious at the price there if you sold it.

(quoted from post at 21:52:13 11/02/20) That's some nice looking hay. ....But a coffee mug on a muffler? Really??? *lol*

Do you sell your hay or do you have livestock? Just curious at the price there if you sold it.

That mug is an exact fit! And when I take it off to use the tractor, it has another perfect spot under the seat. Couple times I forgot to take the mug off the muffler and when I started the tractor it flew straight up and hit the ground hard. Never breaks.
I'm not selling any hay now, but will be next year. Seems small squares here now are $4-5. Or possibly I'd stack to the roof and hold onto them until winter and make the drive and sell at my favorite hay auction in MN. Bales sell for more there in horse country. People around here use mostly rounds and have mostly cows. I have 3 horses.

I remember a few years back when small bales were going for nearly $6 up here. No idea what it is now (no livestock) but we've had wonderful hay weather the past 2-3 years.

(quoted from post at 22:58:41 11/02/20) I remember a few years back when small bales were going for nearly $6 up here. No idea what it is now (no livestock) but we've had wonderful hay weather the past 2-3 years.

My first cut sold for $5.75/bale this last year. That was picked up off the ground.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back