My uncle will make his last trip on an Oliver tomorrow...

OliverGuy

My great uncle was a staunch Oliver guy from the get go. When his Dad moved on from two mules it was one and then two 70's that did all the work for years. I have sat there for 40+ years listening to stories of farming with mules, old olivers and then new ones. You want to talk about a guy who lived through tough times and made it work, geeshh. He told me when I started farming, you want a good ole tough tractor to start with, buy an oliver. So I went out and bought my 1850. He was right. He passed away on Saturday and he'll make his final trip to the cemetery behind an Oliver. Never underestimate what you can learn from your dad or uncles, a lot of times its priceless. Of course there's always some tall tales too, but that's what makes it fun! I didn't have a lot of time with my grandpa, so my great uncle was kind of his stand in. I seated him in what would have been my grandparents spot at our wedding 17 years ago. Take the time to listen to the elders in your family, what it was like when they grew up, how it was on the farm, what your grandpa or great grandparents were like. It's important. Thanks for listening.

People like that have the BEST stories! Sorry for your loss, sounds like a good guy to have known

Ross

Sorry for your loss. One thing when I meet older people and they don't feel useful I always tell them the truth it's not your hands or back that I need it's what is in your head.
I think showing respect is also listening to there stories. One old gentleman I spent time with had an amazing life even a year in the Illinois research hospital but owned a section of land when he passed. I was shocked when the will was read it said Larry needs a new truck give him mine . G m c with 1200 miles on it but I would give it up in a minute for one more visit.

Sorry for your loss. I think a lot of younger people would learn a lot from the previous generation, by just taking time to listen.

Sorry for the loss of your uncle. My first tractor was an Oliver 70. My great uncle worked with me at 14 to get it running. I'm 41 now and wouldn't part with it for the world even though I'm a Massey guy now.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back