NAA tire chains, part 2

edhOH

Well, I got home last night, dug out the manuals and figured out I could swap sides on the tires and gain a couple inches of clearance on both sides. My drive needed cleaned out 2 days ago, I'll give UD's idea a run this summer when I have more time to spend in a machine shop.

The rims came off the discs fairly easy, it took some fancy jack work, a little cussing and a hammer, but I got both off and one re-mounted. I just starting to roll the second tire over the disc and noticed the valve stem was all buggered up. In the process of getting the rim off the disc, I sheared off the stem. I ran my finger over the end and the stem popped right out....Fluid filled tires with a sheared valve stem...not what I wanted to have at 10:30 last night.
I was able to slow the stream of liquid while I frantically searched for an old screw in stem. I never did find it, but I found a self tapping screw and screwed it into the insert. Based on the volume of liquid on the floor, I'd say I lost a couple gallons. Not horrible, but it's slick as all get out in there now.

Today, it's off to the tire store for a new valve stem insert and to Rural King for some chain binders and tarp straps. If all goes well, I'll have the other tire back on tonight and the chains put on, snugged up and the drive cleaned out.

Here's to hoping. I'll post back tomorrow with probably yet another mishap. Nothing ever goes as planned.

Turning the wheels around seems a better solution to me but the offset brackets are a nice design too... The stability of wider wheels will be nice on hills. Only draw back is that your plow won"t be set up right come time to turn over the garden. Yep, you need to learn how to post pictures.

I would have just rolled the tire around so the stem is on top---no leakage. If it still leaked like that, you have too much fluid in the tires.

Sounds like my luck lately.
You will be happier if you leave the chains a little loose. If they can move a little, it helps them clear themselves. I just use a couple of rubber tie downs.

i'd have dished the tires and just swapped them from side to side.. would have saved your valve stem... probably easier too.

soundguy

If it was spilled inside, you want to clean up that spilled calcium chloride ASAP. It is hard on a concrete floor, is incredibly slick and will corrode tools worse than anything else I have experienced. I would soak up as much as possible with newspaper and then wash up the area really well. You can see where CaCl has been spilled, as it will draw water from the air and look like it has drops on it.

I would also be concerned with the rim corroding if any of the solution escaped inside.

Good luck, hope the chains and tire repairs work out.

Yes, it was spilled inside. I'll make sure to clean it up good. The tires haven't been off the rims in probably 20 years. The thought had crossed my mind to have them taken off and get the rims cleaned up, this may be the catalyst that pushes the issue over the top. Yes, they are tubed tires.

the chains are on. I need to do a little tweaking tonight and cut off the excess chain. Once I get that done, it's time to hook up the blade and get to work.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back