Need A Plow?

Allan in NE

Well-known Member
Neighbor down the road is selling his plow. Just thought I'd ask. :>)

Allan

jdplow.JPG
 
I remember you explaining what those are built for, and I still forget exactly how it works when you get to the end of the furrough to turn and change directions, never saw anyone with one in the fields around here. Double the wear parts to replace, but they probably last 2x as long rotating sides like that.
 
How common are roll over plows out there? We used to sell an average of 1-2 a year here in northwest Ohio. They were all 3 or 4 bottom and I guess 1 2 bottom. Not that big but one farmer did have a Towner behind a 5020 with a 318 Detroit under the hood?
 

Same here. They seem much more common out West.

I would think that a 2-way or rollover plow would be handy in the smaller fields we have here in Upstate NY, but nope, all you see are conventional semi-mounts on smaller farms, and trailer plows behind the big 4x4s.

Maybe it's just the opposite of what I'm thinking? Maybe they're better in the really big fields because you can start at one side and work your way across, rather than splitting the field up into sections and having multiple crooked dead furrows... I can see where if you don't get the sections straight on a 40-acre field, life will be miserable. It's bad enough on a 12-acre field... All the running around finishing up little triangles on each end.
 
Lots and lots of dry beans raised out here because it is hot, dry and they do well on irrigated land.

Kinda like they do out in Idaho. Dry beans are normally rotated behind corn and require a clean seedbed for the cutters.

So, yeah. They are all over the place out in this area.

If any of you guys are coming out this way to that big junkyard auction, you'll probably see 'em running all over the place down in that valley.

Allan
 
Spinners are used because they are efficient; no jackin' around on the ends. I’d just about guess that a spinner will cover an easy 1/3 more ground in a day.

They'll plow good and deep to insure all trash is covered and they’ll do it while leaving the land as level as a pool table.

Allan
 
I thought the same thing about them being used here, I was out in the local ag areas yesterday, went up to put a set of points and tune up a JD2020 for a friends father, and saw that the big dairy operation in town has gone back to planting fields in the vicinity that don't even look big enough to turn around in, surrounded by hedge rows, just a lot of small broken chunks of land, most all of it in corn. Years back, everything was in crops or hay grasses except the front lawn !
 
I have nothing that will lift it, nothing that will haul it and I fer darned sure don't have anything that will pull it. :>)

Allan
 
Rollover (two way) plows got their start in "rill" or "flood" irrigated areas. Don't know if any of you in the midwest are familiar with this, but in the Columbia Basin of eastern Washington, irrigation is from canals that follow the contour of the land, and with small pipes called "siphons", you drew water out of the canal and sent it downslope in the fields- either just over the field ("flood") or into grooves put into the field for rowcrops ("rills"). When you've got water trying to find its way downslope, a dead furrow isn't just an inconvenience, its a deal-breaker. Hence, the two way plow. Guys soon found out that even if you didn't have the irrigation imperative, it was just plain easier to start at one side of the field, and work across it, rather than laying out "lands" and such. I like the look of the plow in the picture, but would have to do some research to determine whether my Farmall C would pull it. LOL.
 
Then you would have problems keeping the tractor from plowing in circles, it'd set the plow off to the far right!
 
That would look kinda good behind this:

100_4194.jpg


But, for the few acres that we actually need to plow I think Dad will just rent an offset disc.
 
Pretty smart neighbor if you ask me. Advertises his plow while you're counting your millions at the bank. LoL Next week he'll have a Farmall ready to advertise that will pull the plow. Dave
 
When my Dad was young.....back in the early 30s we had pictures of horse drawen plows that plowed that way.....could plow around a hillside doing strip farming....Don
 
A little big for me, but if you see something with 4 or 5 bottoms on each side and a little more red in color let me know.

thanks, Lee
 
A little big for me, but if you see something with 4 or 5 bottoms on each side and a little more red in color let me know.

thanks, Lee
 
'round here, that's worth scrap prices. I don't think they allow us to plow anymore with the conservation plans - especially after the watershed stuff a couple years ago.

For that matter, I have never understood how the plow bottoms in the air would ever touch soil, they look like they're bolted solid to me. But I'm a new kid.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top