Need a Red Tractor

Thinking trading a tractor and would like to take a look at a CIH. I currently use a JD 5510 FWA, which is a great workhorse, but also the most uncomfortable machine I've ever operated. Problem is, I don't know what CHI model to look for. Need 90 hp, FWA, Cab, around a year 2000, give or take. No Farmalls, McCormick or whatever, just CIH best line. Comfort and durability a must. This tractor wil disk and chisel plow. Suggestions appreciated. My only experience with red tractors is my '65 424. An absolute peach! But that's another story.

Have a cx90 i bought new in 1999. Love it. Look for that or a cx100.
cvphoto165842.jpg
. Has 2000 hrs. No real problems ever.

We have a cab 2wd 5230 powershift,
which is 90 hp, that dad bought new
in 1995. It has been a good tractor.
We're approaching 9000 hrs on it
with the only work done to it being
rebuilding the injection pump last
year. The Cummins engines in those
tractors were rugged from my
experience. They were offered in 4wd
also. No computer systems or DEF on
these to contend with. If I had to
replace it, I would look for a 5240
on account that the 30 series did
not have a turbo, and is a bit more
doggish and thirsty on fuel than the
40 doing heavy tillage work.

Right about the time you're looking at, tractors went from being rated by PTO HP to gross engine HP.

So, this 90HP you're looking for, are you talking PTO or gross engine HP? How much disk and chisel plow are you trying to pull here?

The C/CX90 is part of a long line of proven IH tractors going way back to the late 1960's, early 1970s. You've heard of the 464, 574, 674, right? It's very much the same drivetrain, but the C/CX90 has a Perkins engine instead of the IH engine.

The ~2000 era equivalent to a 5230 Maxxum would be an MX series Maxxum. Again, the model number roughly equates to gross engine HP. Mechanically they are virtually the same as the 52XX series but they have a more modern cab, and year ~2000 level electronics. Simple by today's standards but complex for the time.

i have a 5230 and love it and mine 4 wheel drive, also the c90 would be good, i have a c80 and like that tractor also. I had both for a number of year with no real
complaints.

Barnyard, not to derail this
posting, but wasn't the MX series
the first introduction of the CAPS
fuel system ? I have never heard
anything good about that setup
locally. Just curious about when it
was put into service.

Hey hoosier 43 were you at in Indiana, I am in southeast
Indiana. If youre close you can look at mine if you want.
Good luck

My JD 5510 is 89 engine hp. A 13 JD AW disk is undersized for sure but completely rebuilt it when only had a 3020, so sticking with it, it s flawless. JD 610 8 shank chisel is a bit more of a pull but handles well with FWA.

Thanks urban, but 50 miles south of Lake Michigan. I do need to find one close by to see comfort and convenience. My JD is a horse, and very reliable. It s also a torture rack.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back