Need alternator help on MF 231 tractor

grayrider

First of all, I posted this here as there is always more participation here than the other boards, just thought I would get a better response here than on the Ferguson board. Few days back my fan belt went to smoking, alternator was the cause. Searched worldwide for an alternator exactly like what was on my Massey Ferguson 231 tractor and couldnt find an exact replacement so I ordered one thats supposed to fit my tractor, it was delivered few minutes ago. Heres my dilemma, the case on this new replacement alternator is longer and will rub the power steering reservoir, I think I can alleviate that problem by cutting the alternator case bolts flush on back side of alternator, and this replacement alternator came with no wiring instructions, can somebody please instruct me where to attach the purple wire on my tractor to this alternator, the purple wire attached to the original alternator by plugging in and new alternator does not have a plug-in for it. And which stud should I attach the red wire too, I assume it goes to the B+ stud, the red wire attached to the 30 stud on my original alternator
cvphoto100355.jpg

cvphoto100356.jpg

cvphoto100357.jpg

cvphoto100358.jpg

cvphoto100359.jpg

No, I cannot help with the wiring.

Personally, I would have started by opening up the old alternator to see if you only have a bad bearing. A little time and less than $15 and you might have had it back up running already.

D+ goes to dash light bulb then to ignition switch I terminal. The bulb is needed to prevent run on. If the Wire you are holding has 12v on it with the ignition switch on, it should have a different connector, or a spade can be mounted on the D+ terminal. as shown in the image.
The B+ goes to the large wire from the old alternator. Ground can be made to the mount for the static suppressor (2.2 mfd) black box mount stud, to assure good alt ground.
cvphoto100364.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back