Alternator issues

grandpa Love

Farmall Super A. Got it with a frozen generator and no voltage regulator. No lights. We installed a 12 volt coil, 12 volt battery, all new cables, and wire. 12 volt mini one wire alternator. Wire from alternator to gauge ( the original gauge) then to starter stud ( positive battery) we have done this on several tractors, never an issue. Tried to hook up the negative battery quick connect and sparks flew!! What did I do wrong?? Unhooked the wire at alternator and tractor fires right up.

Attachments

• 1000014272.jpg
    1000014272.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Farmall Super A. Got it with a frozen generator and no voltage regulator. No lights. We installed a 12 volt coil, 12 volt battery, all new cables, and wire. 12 volt mini one wire alternator. Wire from alternator to gauge ( the original) then to starter stud ( positive battery) we have done this on several tractors, never an issue. Tried to hook up the negative battery quick connect and sparks flew!! What did I do wrong?? Unhooked the wire at alternator and tractor fires right up.
GP
I think your alternator may have Gremlins.
You may need to call the Gremlin exterminator to get them out of your shop.
I would take the alternator to the auto store and see if they think you have Gremlins.
I've been told that Gremlins could hide in Automatic transmissions making it very hard to repair.
Good luck.

Farmall Super A. Got it with a frozen generator and no voltage regulator. No lights. We installed a 12 volt coil, 12 volt battery, all new cables, and wire. 12 volt mini one wire alternator. Wire from alternator to gauge ( the original gauge) then to starter stud ( positive battery) we have done this on several tractors, never an issue. Tried to hook up the negative battery quick connect and sparks flew!! What did I do wrong?? Unhooked the wire at alternator and tractor fires right up.
your gauge may be Bad , grounding its self out

Mini alternators CAN be ordered for (+) ground. Probably NOT what you have but the possibility exists.

Check for continuity between the alternator's output stud and it's "frame" with an Ohmmeter. Reverse the leads, and check again. If it shows continuity both ways the alternator is "shorted". The stud MAY have turned a little or otherwise moved and compromised it's insulation.

The other possibility is that the battery has been charged backwards.

YES, that is possible, if a "car battery" is run completely dead and the charger is then connected with reverse polarity the battery will become charged in reverse.

Mini alternators CAN be ordered for (+) ground. Probably NOT what you have but the possibility exists.

Check for continuity between the alternator's output stud and it's "frame" with an Ohmmeter. Reverse the leads, and check again. If it shows continuity both ways the alternator is "shorted". The stud MAY have turned a little or otherwise moved and compromised it's insulation.

YES, that is possible, if a "car battery" is run completely dead and the charger is then connected with reverse polarity the battery will become charged in reverse.
Brand new battery from Rural King

With the alternator installed, but not connected to the one wire, and the battery connected (both terminals with Negative ground) use a test light from the battery positive to the output stud on the alternator. If it lights, the alternator is either shorted (as noted here) or designed for positive ground. Jim

With the alternator installed, but not connected to the one wire, and the battery connected (both terminals with Negative ground) use a test light from the battery positive to the output stud on the alternator. If it lights, the alternator is either shorted (as noted here) or designed for positive ground. Jim
This tell you anything? Reads the same if we switch leads

Attachments

• 1000014830.jpg
    1000014830.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 21

Does this help? Reads the same if we switch leads

Attachments

• 1000014830.jpg
    1000014830.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 36

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back