NEED HELP, 1ST TIME JD OWNER 2840

Mr62Buick

New User
I have a 2840 I just picked up last week. The engine was rebuilt before i got it, and runs GREAT. But, after the owners installed the engine, they started it and there is hydraulic fluid coming out of the bottom of the bellhousing out the drain hole. It is not motor oil, but hydraulic fluid.

I am assuming that they replaced all the engine parts, but accidentally moved something aorund on the bellhousing, and now something leaks. I have no idea whats behind the bellhousing on the diff side. Any clues on what it could be? It leaks a little, but when you shut it off, it leaks about 1/2 cup then stops.

Signed, retired ase master techincian with ZERO tractor knowledge on the case halves. (I did a recent engine rebuild while the engine was not removed from tractor, it was a Massey F MF40, and that I can do, but never split case halves.)

Welcome to this forum
Probably seal on trans input shaft or hi-lo clutch shaft has failed. Repair will require spitting tractor. I remember selling "new 2840" tractors.

What manual would be the best to see pics inside split halves and r&r procedure.

I can make the tractor split supports for both sides.

Sorry, but you hit the nail on the head with the comment of zero tractor knowledge. If you would have asked on here before your purchase, we would have said to find a different tractor.

Good news! It doesnt cost much if you fix it yourself and is fairly simple. Bad news its gonna take a minute and a splitting stand. And a manual. I have sent something like that in when I needed the tractor bad and it cost me 4,000 on a 2640 10 years ago from a local mechanic. The next one on a different 2640 tractor we did at home and it cost 200 bucks with seals and bearings using the homemade splitting stands from the 3010.

Welcome to the forums.

The John Deere technical manual for the 2840 publication number is TM4336. You can purchase a copy at the John Deere Ag and Turf bookstore, here is a link to it.

https://techpubs.deere.com/

Click on the Equipment Publications button. On that page type 2840 in the box beside Model Search and it should show you a few options. Choose: Tractors - Base Units and your manuals will appear in another drop down. You may want to download, for free, (or purchase) a copy of the Operator's Manual while you are there. You can purchase a Parts Catalog there or use the online one for free at this link: https://partscatalog.deere.com/jdrc/

Do not be surprised that you don't find the details of a lot of things and how to do a step, like you find in most auto DIY manuals. You have to remember the tractor manuals are written for mechanics working at dealerships and the writers expected them to have training and experience. People here can help fill in the blanks if you have questions. Good luck

(quoted from post at 22:14:13 07/17/23) Sorry, but you hit the nail on the head with the comment of zero tractor knowledge. If you would have asked on here before your purchase, we would have said to find a different tractor.

My take is that the owners discovered the problem before selling it and he bought it accordingly, being a retired mechanic. He also said his zero tractor knowledge was regarding splitting case halves, not zero knowledge at all.

My take is that the owners discovered the problem before selling it and he bought it accordingly, being a retired mechanic. He also said his zero tractor knowledge was regarding splitting case halves, not zero knowledge at all.[/quote]

EXACTLY. Paid 7k, excellent shape and 103 hrs on the engine, it's not broken, just leaking. Totally fixable. One says dump it, shows they aren't willing to learn and get your hands dirty, the rest say GO FOR IT, here's how. That's the answers I. Looking for...how to do it.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back