Need help in finding a G159 engine block

mtclimber51

New User
In need help in sourcing an engine block for a recently purchased backhoe. Based on my research it is a 1963 Case W-3 TLB with a G159 engine. The numbers off the engine block are CWC K90 284T04006. Inside the head G2088 is stamped.
The engine threw a rod and puncture the block and the oil passage. I have been looking for a block, but I have not been successful. I have also tried to weld the block and that failed as well...cannot weld cast iron with what I have.

This is my first backhoe, I purchased it for a project, and I hope to get it running. I found the connecting rod to replace the one that broke. Looks like rebuilt kits are available, but it appears that the blocks are hard to come by. Does anyone know where I can get the block welded?

I recently found a 1965 Case 530 with a diesel engine, and I am looking for assistance in compatibility between the tractors. The engines are not but what about the rest of the tractor's components. Are the transmission, rams and other components compatible?
From what I was able to obtain, the 530 diesel has DA30 8201380 under the water temp gauge and on another plate 22 4071169.

I appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,
Mihai
 

Attachments

  • 20230625_091025_HDR.jpg
    20230625_091025_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 123
  • IMG-20241202-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20241202-WA0002.jpg
    477.4 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG-20241202-WA0001 1.jpg
    IMG-20241202-WA0001 1.jpg
    382.5 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG-20241204-WA0002.jpg
    IMG-20241204-WA0002.jpg
    230.7 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG-20241204-WA0001.jpg
    IMG-20241204-WA0001.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 118
  • 20230707_093708.jpg
    20230707_093708.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • 20230625_091142_HDR.jpg
    20230625_091142_HDR.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 115
  • 20230625_091124.jpg
    20230625_091124.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 120
  • 20230625_091046_HDR.jpg
    20230625_091046_HDR.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 120
  • 20230625_091030_HDR.jpg
    20230625_091030_HDR.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 115
You could use Belzona this has been used even at a Caterpillar dealership that I worked at 20 years ago its expensive about $350 but it works
 
Hi Jon R.
Thank you for your response. I have not heard of this. It looks like there are several series. Will any work? Do you know if it can hold oil pressure?
The oil passage is also affected?

Thanks
 
If you get a good job fixing the hole the oil drilling is close enough to the end of the block that you could make a sleeve to drive in the passage to cover the hole. I have used this several times to repair broken oil passages. Just make sure the sleeve is not covering any holes that need oil, there should be a Allen head plug to access the front of the galley.
 
Hi Jon R.
Thank you for your response. I have not heard of this. It looks like there are several series. Will any work? Do you know if it can hold oil pressure?
The oil passage is also affected?

Thanks
Yes , With good preparation , I just repaired an automatic transmission case for my for ford pick up and it runs well I have done many engine blocks with it and even a inlet port and mounting flange on an old Carburetor especially any pitted or cavitated liner bores. you have to work fast, so you may want to do a little at one time . you must get all oil out of the pores of the metal . I use denatured alcohol for this as well as for clean up, but occasionally use Ether starting fluid and if the metal still doesn't look dry I may heat up with a torch till all oil is out of the pores of the base metal. I know Belzona has many products . but I have only used Belzona 1111
 

Attachments

  • KIMG0103.JPG
    KIMG0103.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 99
I have a parts Case 530 Case O Matic with a gas engine , but don't know what size engine is in it.
Thank you for the information. Can you please send me the serial numbers for the engine, along with some pictures? I have a G159 engine, 4 cyl., 159 CI, 2.6L,53hp.
 
Yes , With good preparation , I just repaired an automatic transmission case for my for ford pick up and it runs well I have done many engine blocks with it and even a inlet port and mounting flange on an old Carburetor especially any pitted or cavitated liner bores. you have to work fast, so you may want to do a little at one time . you must get all oil out of the pores of the metal . I use denatured alcohol for this as well as for clean up, but occasionally use Ether starting fluid and if the metal still doesn't look dry I may heat up with a torch till all oil is out of the pores of the base metal. I know Belzona has many products . but I have only used Belzona 1111
Thank you for the additional information. Sounds like a good product to use. I will look into this further and see what I need to do to get that tractor fixed.

Thanks,
Mihai
 
In need help in sourcing an engine block for a recently purchased backhoe. Based on my research it is a 1963 Case W-3 TLB with a G159 engine. The numbers off the engine block are CWC K90 284T04006. Inside the head G2088 is stamped.
The engine threw a rod and puncture the block and the oil passage. I have been looking for a block, but I have not been successful. I have also tried to weld the block and that failed as well...cannot weld cast iron with what I have.

This is my first backhoe, I purchased it for a project, and I hope to get it running. I found the connecting rod to replace the one that broke. Looks like rebuilt kits are available, but it appears that the blocks are hard to come by. Does anyone know where I can get the block welded?

I recently found a 1965 Case 530 with a diesel engine, and I am looking for assistance in compatibility between the tractors. The engines are not but what about the rest of the tractor's components. Are the transmission, rams and other components compatible?
From what I was able to obtain, the 530 diesel has DA30 8201380 under the water temp gauge and on another plate 22 4071169.

I appreciate any input on this.

Thanks,
Mihai
I have a gas engine from a 600b case tractor in central Iowa.
 
To fix that oil gallery, you take the plug out of the end , and bore it to accept a piece of steel tubing. Go about an inch past the injury and loc-tite it in there. Just did a GD 188 like that.
 
  • Like
Reactions: mEl
I wanted to give an update on the project.

I found an engine and took it to the local machine shop. They told me that I need .010 main bearings, but I cannot seem to find any. Does anyone know where I can purchase a set?
 
It will take some research, but there is information out there regarding various crankshaft dimensions from different manufacturers, and you can compare them with the dimensions of your motor. The reason your bearing part number may not come up on a national search even though it fits something else is because you're look for an EXACT dimension unique to your motor. Any minuscule difference will change the part number. Wider or narrower , or the locating tab might be in a different spot.

Bottom line, a different insert that fits in there without interfering with a neighboring part will work.

In extreme cases, such as how the IH D-264 used to be, there are guys out there who can re-Babbitt your inserts.
 
It will take some research, but there is information out there regarding various crankshaft dimensions from different manufacturers, and you can compare them with the dimensions of your motor. The reason your bearing part number may not come up on a national search even though it fits something else is because you're look for an EXACT dimension unique to your motor. Any minuscule difference will change the part number. Wider or narrower , or the locating tab might be in a different spot.

Bottom line, a different insert that fits in there without interfering with a neighboring part will work.

In extreme cases, such as how the IH D-264 used to be, there are guys out there who can re-Babbitt your inserts.
Thank you for your response. I don't even know where to begin in doing this. I was thinking that perhaps the main bearings from the diesel engine might fit it, but I doubt it. There are 5 of them and more heavy duty. If they were the same, it would be great. I guess I can start there.

What does this mean?
"re-Babbitt your inserts.
 
The place to begin is knowing your rod and main diameters. Then, if you can find a format like this, all you have to do run down the columns and compare dimensions. This is an example from 1973 Motor's Truck manual.

Re-babbitting is the stripping of the original inserts and applying new overlay... but I don't know how far undersize they can go ( which is what you need if they're turning the crank) without changing the thickness of the steel part of the insert.
IMG_0459.jpeg
 
If bearings are available, most shops doing crank work can get the bearings to match what they turn the crank to. I might have missed it, but did you ask them to get the bearings?
 
Like Jim says try the machine shop first.... but if they turn out to be unobtanium, the IH 424 gas has the same crank pin diameter as the 530, and the mains are .007 smaller; which could work, if they were to turn the crank down to STD 424 size. The only unknown is whether they will physically fit in the block or the rod. What I normally do is order one pair of each and see how they fit to see if this is worth proceeding further..... if not, send them back and try again.

These are just ballpark figures, but you see how the system can work.
 
The old parts book jumps from .002" right to .020" but the aftermarket kits list .002-.010-.020-.030...
Machine shop should know how and just as importantly, when to choose.
I doubt Case would still carry any of the old stock, they'd likely sell you aftermarket too.
I'd bet the parts store folks that run this forum could fix up.
Or, spend countless hours like I do trying to run down Genuine NOS parts.
 
Last edited:
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top