Need help replacing a tool

Steve in VA

This die stock was in a large box of taps and dies i bought years back. It appears to be aluminum and the handles were bent to begin with. Long story short, it finally broke.

I really like the collars is has to help align to the stock when you start the die. I'd like to replace it but it has no name or number. I've tried online searches for die handle/stock and some sort of description of the collar feature but no luck. It uses 1 inch dies.

Any help is appreciated.
cvphoto162900.jpg

cvphoto162901.jpg

I found several possibilities by searching "adjustable guide die stock". Not like your pictures, but maybe it would get you where you're going.

If you operate a lathe, make the center piece from 1144 stressproof steel and weld handles on it. Or have one made as I describe. Jim

Does not look original. Note the T slots where adjustable guides used to run and likely were moved by a cam collar which the other setscrew secured. That probably broke years ago and someone made the bushings as a quick fix to restore guide functionality.

So here's where I landed. I realized that the O.D. was 1.5 inch so the body would fit into my bigger handle. Most of my dies are 1 inch but I have a fewc1.5 inch. I replaced the set screws with grub screws, removed the handles, and drilled in dimples to hold it in place.
cvphoto163929.jpg

cvphoto163930.jpg

(quoted from post at 09:34:35 09/10/23) If you operate a lathe, make the center piece from 1144 stressproof steel and weld handles on it. Or have one made as I describe. Jim
ood idea, but weldability is not one of 1144's strong points. It is a good free machining steel, but has too much sulfur to weld easily. I would thread the handles and screw them in.
Weldability link

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back