need some advice guys, horse power thats hideing somewhere?!

V8S10

hey guys today i wasnt busy with anything else so i decided to install the roller rockers i got from murphys on my farmall M that are 1.7 and 1.9 ratio, the M has a M block with 450 pistons and sleeves (281) a brand new reproduction LP head that (isnt) ported or polised. lp manifold from stiener tractor parts, a new 450 cam from stiener tractor parts also, a carb bowl that is off of like a 301 combine engine? has a bigger metering stem then a regular M?it has a venturie that someone took to a lathe at one time and its kinda between a #27 and #29 venturie.. petronix electronic ignition, runs on 110 octane other wise it pings and farts and bangs on just 87 or 89 or 93, and runs very very nice on 110, its got around 195 -200 psi cylinder pressure. it runs around 2200 rpm and it gets 61 horse on the dyno before the roller rockers? i installed the rockers today and ran it on the dyno and it got pretty much the same horse power at 540 pto?! i backed the full load screw out on the carb 1 turn and got 1 more horse?! backed it out one more turn and got the same results? and i took the bowl off and the full load screw is about an 1/8 away from the jet in the bowl and well im thinking the tractor could take more fuel but is being restricted and the tractor doesnt smoke black like its running lean ?!?! the tractor runs very nice and lugs down good and pulls good other then it does smoke white just a bit when you start it but goes away right away! i took another bowl off of an M that had the main jet drilled out about 5 drill bit sizes bigger and with the holes in the mettering stem about the same size and tried that but seemed to be way to much fuel as is i had the screw in pretty much until it would seat up against the main jet and would open the tractor up and would die ?! so im stumped? im thinking a little bigger jet then what on the tractor for more fuel but not over board?! and i set the rockers at .020 thousands cold if that makes any difference? im thinking theres more power there but is hiding somehwere?!?! help!!

Hard to say. I have a ground Cam that will be a bit bigger than yours. Seems to have real good throttle response with 25 thou valve lash. I tried a 29 venturi and gained no top end but lost 2 or 3 on the bottom. It likes 27. Did you check Cam timing? Not just the marks but degree it properly. If it's off it will kill power. Take breather cover off governor and check linkage. Make sure it fully opens the carb.

what distributor do you have? What is timing set at?

Lastly, if it runs good on the track, don't worry about dyno numbers. A calibrated dyno and an old beat up dyno could be off by 10 hp.

I'm not an expert, but i have a good idea. For high rpm like that, time the Cam to about 105-107 ICL.

Don't worry about it. If you can't find the power just make like you are one of those guys that can beat guys with three times more power by just reading the track better and getting their weights placed better.

it runs very nicely now that ive got the proper weight brackets for it! and im getting it balanced pretty good for the most part and getting the tire pressure dialed in along with my hitch! it will run out of power on a hard dirt track in 1st in 7500 pound class but im getting my weight figured out and ive been keepin up with some """"stock""""" olivers for the most part! it lugs very nicely!! and the extra rpms give me alot more power it seems! i love pulling it:)

have you tried one of those funnel type stacks? i put one on my tractor it gave me 7.63 more hp at stock rpm. i rolled up some stealwool and made a baffle about 1/3 from the bottom and that gave me about 2.3 more horse. dont ask why it worked but it did glad to help.

I installed 1.95 ratio rockers on my Massey 44 (277ci) and got the same results you did. However, if you have a slide rule for your dyno and can check your hp at 6-750 pto rpm you MAY find that it makes more hp at higher rpm now (not a problem if your running 2200. Good luck

Mark

Those funnel stacks are great when you are drunk. You can stand on the hood and P down them soooooo much easier than a normal exhaust pipe.

IIn an ideal world, a warmed over but not excessive ,carbed gasoline engine is expected to make 1HP per cu" at 6000rpm.
Figuring that, your 2200rpm M/450 should make approx 100HP if everything was done "perfect".
Cam grind, cam timing, ignition timing, quality of the valve job, port blending/matching and mixture are all suspect.

guys like this always make me wonder, if you get on here and ask advice are you really going to take that advice? Why would you not call someone who actually knows the answers to your question? You know like maybe Gary Baker or someone else that actually can tell you what you want to know.

You can get the hp you are saying you have on the dyno with a super m at 540 rpms with very little cost and run pump gas. If you are wanting over that you will have to spend some cash and go above 400 cu. I would go 436 you can pull anywhere and be competitive. Baker makes a 436 with the correct combination of parts that runs darn good. I was at a pull in Bremen Indiana on a good track and one of his engines had what my 540 had. They run darn good way over 125 hp.

sounds like it needs a bigger carb for sure. If you tighten the valve lash and it makes more power on the dyno it tells you that you could use more cam but it probably wouldnt tell you that until you had enough carburation on it to handle even more air fuel demand from engine.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back