Need Wisconsin engine expert

Bus Driver

Well-known Member
VH4D, in a Bobcat made in 1974. Always have used NAPA 1106 oil filter (I believe that it is made by Wix) because that was what was on it when purchased about 20 years ago. Looking today at Wix filter lookup online. 3 possible filters listed. Wix 51106 is early model bypass- probably what I have been using. 51072 is early model full-flow. 51051 is Late models. What is early and what is late and how does one identify them? And how to know if bypass or full-flow is the right one for the early models?
 
Look in a filter catalogue for your machine. I know Baldwin has a good listing and also a cross reference catalogue to original OEM numbers. Dave
 
NAPA 1106 is Wix 51106 and Wisconsin RV40. It is: 4.8" long X 3.8" OD X 2 3/4-5 ID with male rolled threads. It is the correct filter for your engine.
The others won't even fit since they don't have the correct male threads at the end.

NAPA 1072 is Wix 51072 for VH-4Ds 1985-1993: 4.3" long X 3.6" OD X 13/16-16 ID and does NOT have the male rolled threads.

NAPA 1051 is Wix 51051 and mostly used on International engines - is 4.3" long X 3.6" OD x 5/8-18 ID and does NOT have rolled male threads.
 
Yes, the protruding male threads is what I have. The new NAPA 1106 filter I installed today apparently was made in 2001 if the faint print was the date code. Purchased yesterday. Makes one wonder if these will become obsolete. The engine runs perfectly.
 
Some companies have already discontinued it - and sell a conversion kit to use a more common filter. RV51A1 conversion kit is an adapter that screws onto your engine. After that, there are many filters that fit - the most common is the NAPA 1051.
 
I've had a bunch of V4's. VG's and VH's. Some Marlow pumps came with VH4D's in 1966 with blanking plates at the oil filter. I guess that's what Marlow thought of bypass filters. They ran flawlessly for years in fairly clean pumphouse environments. Regular oil changes.
Lister diesels turn them now.
 
So how much is one of these Wisconsins engines worth? I took one off of a JD 346 baler and converted it to a PTO driven now I need to get rid of this engine.

Thanks
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top