Needing guesstiments on the price of hay

34Case

Just got my 5 acres of Sudan grass bailed today. 41 bales. Baler man cut and baled it. I raked it this morning EARLY. His bill as $547. I ant to sell it so Im needing a guess as hat there orth a bale, 4X5s Thanks.

I suppose my comment might seem flippant.

Hay is an odd thing, it goes in cycles of over and under supply.

If your area is short on feed, it can be worth quite a bit.

If your area is well supplied on hay, then really good quality hay of a type your area wants is still worth a lot. Less quality or odd species of hay can be difficult to sell.

Hay prices are a roller coaster of price depending on location and local conditions in the surrounding, say 200 miles.

I took some beautiful best I ever baled, alfalfa small square bales to a hay auction. They brought $2.25. I was so disappointed. Leafy green quality alfalfa!

A year later I took some hay I cut in August as a first cutting - yes it had hay that grew, matured, fell down, and regrew a second crop, all cut and baled together. Course grass hay not wonderful stuff green and brown mixed together, I just had my barn full and wanted this gone without restocking it. It brought $4.75 a bale. I about fell over. I wasnt expecting 1/3 that price I just wanted the twine and diesel paid for.....

So you never know, unless you study the local hay markets and keep up on trends.

Your local conditions and local demand for that type of forage will make a big difference, as the one person said $10 to $100.

Many areas have hay auctions and some will post weekly results. If you can compare your bales to something that sold In your community. Or look through Craigs List and other such for local asking prices for similar hay type. You can get an idea of what your local market supports for price.

Paul

(quoted from post at 20:58:07 08/02/23) Just got my 5 acres of Sudan grass bailed today. 41 bales. Baler man cut and baled it. I raked it this morning EARLY. His bill as $547. I ant to sell it so Im needing a guess as hat there orth a bale, 4X5s Thanks.

Location means everything..............

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back