New guy looking at a DC4

KyleM1990

New User
Hello all. New guy here from North Central Ohio. Im looking at a Case DC4 that is for sale locally. The owner does not know the year but it has the Eagle hitch and hand clutch. The tractor runs good and is fully operational. The asking price is $1700. Ive been a car guy all my life but other then growing up mowing with a Farmall B and Ford 8N I dont have a lot of tractor experience. Not sure what Im actually going to do with it, probably clean it up and just use it to tow stuff around the property. Anything in particular I need to take a good look at on this one?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

If it runs good now it will likely still be running good when your gone. The only problem with them is using pto equipment with the eagle hitch as anything that is not made for it will need to be adapted to work. Otherwise just change the oil once in a while and it will last a lifetime.

What you are looking at is a very late model (1952 or 53)DC4. If the tires are decent and it runs good, that is a fair price. If you buy it be prepared to change all fluids especially the trans/differential and PTO/hydraulic sumps as they tend to collect water. They are very good tractors. Don

cvphoto115857.jpg

cvphoto115858.jpg

cvphoto115861.jpg

cvphoto115863.jpg

Welcome to the Case Forum. If you choose to buy the Old Girl, you not only have a piece of Ag history of the past, you will have a vast community of enthusiasts that can share ideas and repair solutions. Tractor rides, Plowing activities, Parades, and tractor clubs are just a few things you will find yourself being involved in. After you post a few times here, you will be given the opportunity to post pictures. We like it when folks post their Flambeau and Desert Sunset tractors . Implement pics are encouraged! Does she have a distributer or a Magneto , Generator or alternator? Welcome . Chuck Machinist

Chuck, If you keep showing those Case pics I'm afraid I'm just gonna have to add one to my group. Good looking tractors. Keith

Thanks for all the replies. It will still be a week or two until I get the money together. I will definitely being changing all the fluids and would like to do a tune up if parts are readily available. It currently has a distributor which I imagine was originally a magneto, its still 6 volt, and in the photos appears to have a generator. The same seller also has a DC3 listed and it still has the magneto hence the reason Im guessing they all originally came with magnetos.

She could also use a good cleaning and paint. Ill definitely clean her up but Im not much of a painter myself.

Pay attention to the tires, they could cost $1500 to replace. Also check for coolant in the engine oil. Myself, I would look for something newer like 400, 800, 730 or 730CK as they are what replaced the D series from 1955 to 1969. They are much more usable tractors with far better features for not much more money.

How did you ever end up with a C crank in there? D cranks were bent to match the grille.

The only 400s or 730s I can find within a reasonable distance are $4000-$6000. My budget is about $2,000 max. Features arent really a huge deal as this is really a because I can purchase. I dont need a tractor, I want a tractor. The only other things local in my price range are Ford 8Ns, I dont find them terribly interesting and literally everybody and their brother seems to have one.

Should be a great tractor for you. Nice power and good cold weather starter if you want to push some snow. I had hand clutches on a DC and SC and liked them better than the foot clutch on my DC. Will be a very low maintenance tractor

Loosen the engine oil drain plug and let a little oil out of it to make sure there is no antifreeze in there. Check the engine block for external cracks. I assume it has good tires for that price?

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back