New Idea No 18 Tires

Dan F

New User
I have a NI No 18 spreader and one of the tires is done. The tire size it has on it is a 7.5-20. I have looked around but finding these tires in an R1 tread configuration is hard. When I do find one they seem crazy expensive, haven't found any used just new. I was quoted ~$275 locally for one installed on my rim. Is there another size option that would work? Or maybe a different rim/tire combination that could be substituted? One problem is that only 1 tire really needs replaced. The rims are probably the stock rims and have seen better days (but usable). Any suggestions would be great.
Another question is that I have had some trouble with the tension sprocket for the paddle wheels. The chain ate the one that was on it, I got a new one, it seemed to be fine and then the chain ate it too (not sure how bad it is in the field somewhere behind my house). Any ideas on another option that would allow the chain to travel/move some (side to side) without eating sprockets? I toyed with the idea to put a wide plastic wheel (like they use on zero turn mower decks which would allow movement but have not tried anything yet (Tire is done, its not moving anyway). I realize that everything should be tight and probably shouldn"t be any movement but its old and if I had a lot of money to put into it then I would have bought a newer one.

On the tire, check with Miller Tire in Ohio. He will have one but it may not be any cheaper than you where quoted locally. Tires are not cheap anymore. Also the odds of finding a good used one is slim.

On the idler sprocket. You need to shim the paddle shaft from moving side to side and also the drive sprocket. They had washer like shims behind each when they where new. This should make the chain run straight. If the shafts can move in and out then the idler sprocket is not the only thing that is not going to work. The chain will climb off too. You have to have the drive sprocket and the driven sprocket straight an stationary. If they move then the chain will be misaligned and the chain/idler will not last long that way.

Not a bad price. Firestone here wanted $465 each for front triple rib 7.50x18 tractor fronts. Got an 8 ply from a jobber for $129 each. After buying thousands of dollars of Firestone truck tires, I guess we will part ways.

I have seen people use military tires on the pickers a lot
the M35 2.5 ton army trucks all had 20 inch rims
look on craigslist and I bet you can find a good set cheap

Pickers and manure spreaders mostly use a 20" tire. I have a neighbor who has a rig that he uses to move trailers, and he has to replace the tires occasionally, just on tread wear. So I get his old ones and use them They're heavier than implement tires and never wear out for the mileage I put on them, and a whole bunch cheaper.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back