New paint How to dull

FWB in SK

The fiberglass nose on my JD 4240 had lost its color and also missing paint in places. Decided to paint it. Now it sticks out like a sore thumb. Is there any thing I can do to match the rest of the hood etc.

If it's not a good match for the specific color, then you're in trouble outa the gate. If you want to blend it to make the patina more closely match the hood, - then try sanding the nose lightly wet with 1500 or 2000 sandpaper and giving it a quick buff. Then go to the hood with the buffer to dress it up, no heavy buffing on old paint. Make sure all surfaces are squeaky clean before buffing, no dirt or grit of any kind. Do a little at a time with this process and look at the matching result as you move forward. Buff by hand with soft cloths or carefully with a rotary buffer. Use medium grade compound, no course-cutting stuff. You're trying yo get the sheen of the new and old to match. Usually old paint is very flat (no orange peel) and new paint is rough (some orange peel).

If the hood is dull it's a sign the paint is beginning to fail. Rather than doing a lot of work to dull the nose you would be better off trying to bring the sheen up on the hood. You could do that by buffing it with rubbing compound and waxing it. If you still need to dull the nose you can very lightly rub it with 0000 steel wool. You need to be careful not to put very much pressure on the steel wool or it will make the sheen streaked. It's better to rub it twice as long lightly than to rub it too hard and get streaks in it. It takes a lot of work to rub out streaks made with steel wool.

Guess should add I used John Deere rattle can paint. Will try some of the suggestions. Will let it dry real good before doing anything. Thanks

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back