New Starter Question

Many times when I hit the starter button, it just spins. Hit it a few times and it catches. I dont plan to do anything about the flywheel at this time so could it be just the bendix? Bendix spring? Not knowing the condition of the teeth on the flywheel, is it better to just change the spring and use the old gear since it matches the flywheel? The options are endless :-)
John
 
There is a high likelyhood that the ring gear needs a dentist. 4 cyl engines end up at the same spot (or 180 across). If you had the starter out, why didn't you give the ring gear a good look. It might help to put it in gear and bump it forward (prior to starting) to change the orientation of the teeth. HTH
 
without xray vision.. hard to tell.. especially from here.

you know what that means.. got to pull the starter... peer into the hole to see if there is a gouged out spot on the flywheel ring gear. if so.. not many options other than to fix it right.

no shortcuts there.

as for the starter.. if it's bendix teeth are worn down you sure can change hem.. also.. the shaft needs to be shiney eat-off-it-clean for the bendix to ride up it. spray with carb cleaner and paerhaps hit with some silicone lube then wipe off.

also take the time to wire wheel the area the starter mounts and the plate of the starter that mounts to the frame to ensure good ground.

make sure you have good clean bat cables and terminal ends.. and thick 1/0 cables.

most cases of starters spinning slow and not engaging are dirty shafts.. bad grounds and undersized cables.

soundguy
 
not many options other than to fix it right.....Well you know I agree with that but I think you hit it on the head with the cleaning scenario. That sounds like a bandaid fix and could just be the silver bullet to get me into next Spring. The starter spins very well everytime. Maybe your overthinking this. The gear isnt flying out to engage. Thats what I hear. Contacts & cables are new & pristine.
Other than that, the starter looks like its been through hell & back. Someones been beating on it for whatever reason. So, cosmetically, it needs to be replaced. This is not a restore...its just reliability.
Thanks Guy, Im on it.
John
 
beating on it is /(was) a sign it had bad brushes at some point.. and taking a hammer to it is the usual fix to get the to spin a lil more.

ps.. the bendix doesn't fly out to engage.. it sucks IN toward the starter as it normally sets OUT on the end of the shaft.

a bad bendix, or dirty shaft ( rusty, pitted or bent too ) or low rpms will prevent the suck in.

don't worry about the cosmetics..the field casing is a big hunk of metal.. and the average hamemr whack ain't gonna hurt it.. though does jiggle loose, short brushes int heri holder to make sontact so the worn out starter will spin. sounds like it has been rebuilt since then if it spins good now.

soundguy
 
If the old starter engaged all right the teeth on flywheel are most likely ok. You say it is a new starter. I have seen new & rebuilt starters with a bad bendix. Also was the replacement starter a perfect match to the old one?
 
Hi d beatty, Its not a new starter, its probably the original. I was thinking to replace this starter with a new one but then got concerned with new teeth engaging a old flywheel.
John
 
Like a old black & white TV huh?

Okay, it sucks in...something else I forgot over the years, makes sense though.

It spins great everytime. The dirty shaft or bad bendix is what Im going to look into. You got it right, no doubt.
Thanks Guy
John
 
yep.. the ford starter is a bit of an oddity about the suck in, and engaging the BACK of the flywheel too.. vs throw out and front engage.

good luck.. hope you find a dirty shaft and a cleaning fixes it.

some well meaning people oil or grease the shaft, not knowing that the lube actually adds DRAG friction and can prevent the suck in.. theus the mention of cleaning shiny with carb spray, then at most a shot of 'dry' silicone lube then a wipe down with a soft cloth.

soundguy
 
Bob, I havent had the starter out yet. I am addressing the weakest point of this tractor. The bendix doesnt engage everytime I hit the starter button. I want to correct that. Changing the orientation of the flywheel wont cut it. As the starter spins, the bendix doesnt always slide on the shaft...just another dirty thing to clean and lubricate for now. Im convinced its crusty in there.
John
 
Drag friction. Your xray is working pretty good, I can see it too! especially after years of temp changes etc. Ill take a look this weekend. If its anything like that canister I just cleaned, there wont be any surprises.
Thank you sir.
John
 
Sorry thought you were having trouble with a new starter. I would clean it like the other guys said. Also I would look it over good for anything that might need fixing. Its easier now than have to take it apart again.
 
i hope that's exactly what you find as it's a cheap / free/easy fix.

good luck to you.


soundguy


ps.. I've seen em so gummed up with dirt and thick hard grease that the drive gear didn't even move up the shaft at all.. just stayed out on the end...
 
d beatty, Maybe I titled the subject wrong. I was seriously thinking and almost ordered a new starter until I got to thinking about the old flywheel and the new bendix gear. Sorry if I mislead you. Mechanics is something I have been away from for some 40 years now. The re-learning curve has me stumped a lot.
John
 
John , Thats ok I retired last year ago after 38 years of driving a semi for a freight line. I grew up on a small and have always loved old tractor.I have time now to work on them and hope grandson might like them when he gets older.I have about 8 tractor that iam going back through and rebuilding.
 
38 years! Congratulations mister. My dad only made 19 years before he was totally fed up driving a car carrier. You sound like your doing what you enjoy...good for you! Good luck with your grandson. My grandfather had me mowing the church property when I was 8 with a cub lo boy. Felt like a locomotive to me at that time. Hope he picks it up from you and enjoys it as much as you!
Have a great weekend...when it gets here.
John
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top