New to tractors

Black Dragon

New User
Hello all
I'm new to tractors and have never taken on a large restoration. I've restored small things and have turned wrenches on different types of machines; cars, motorcycles, an occasional dozer, and manufacturing machines. I worked for Toyota building their cars in KY and now I do leather work.
Now I'm looking at taking on the challenge of a Super C that's on our property still owned by the previous land owner (he's 84) and he used it to work on the property. His daughter wants me to restore it and is willing to pay me for the work but I'm reluctant on taking that offer because I like to do things to my best. I think the cost to restore would be beyond the value so I would rather take ownership of the tractor then if she wants to buy it back for my costs and labor I would be willing to do that but other than that I wont be reselling the tractor.
So, with all that out of the way I know nearly nothing about old tractors. I've always admired these machine and the parts they played in building our country and putting food on the tables of Americans.

I'd like your feedback and advice about what I'm getting into. I made an album with various pictures and I'll post a few here.

1000004974.jpg

1000004938.jpg

1000004939-jpg.7166

1000004940.jpg

Attachments

• 1000004939.jpg
    1000004939.jpg
    407.4 KB · Views: 623
  • 1000004940.jpg
    1000004940.jpg
    765.3 KB · Views: 34
Hello all
I'm new to tractors and have never taken on a large restoration. I've restored small things and have turned wrenches on different types of machines; cars, motorcycles, an occasional dozer, and manufacturing machines. I worked for Toyota building their cars in KY and now I do leather work.
Now I'm looking at taking on the challenge of a Super C that's on our property still owned by the previous land owner (he's 84) and he used it to work on the property. His daughter wants me to restore it and is willing to pay me for the work but I'm reluctant on taking that offer because I like to do things to my best. I think the cost to restore would be beyond the value so I would rather take ownership of the tractor then if she wants to buy it back for my costs and labor I would be willing to do that but other than that I wont be reselling the tractor.
So, with all that out of the way I know nearly nothing about old tractors. I've always admired these machine and the parts they played in building our country and putting food on the tables of Americans.

I'd like your feedback and advice about what I'm getting into. I made an album with various pictures and I'll post a few here.

View attachment 7169
View attachment 7165

1000004939-jpg.7166

View attachment 7168
First off, the term "restoration" would need to be defined. If it is to be a true restoration to "as new" somebody better have some darned deep pocket$ to the tune of MULTIPLE times what the tractor could possibly be sold for when completed. But I'm sure you already know that!

First off, the term "restoration" would need to be defined. If it is to be a true restoration to "as new" somebody better have some darned deep pocket$ to the tune of MULTIPLE times what the tractor could possibly be sold for when completed. But I'm sure you already know that!
I saw a post somewherr that stated there were 3 levels of restoration.
In short
A. Every nut and bolt matched year and make. (Showroom new)
B. Some changes here and there but generally great condition.
C. It runs and threw some paint at it.

I'd like to hit the B mark. It's been converted to 12v and truthfully I not sure I want to change that but I may.

The condition it is in is rather tragic in that the tires are all going to need to be replaced. With mounting and the tires, the rears will be in the $1000.oo range for least expensive brand, the fronts maybe 250. The next issue is if the engine is locked up from sitting in the weather. (The rain cap on the exhaust is good, but far from ideal). A stuck engine will be either an easy fix for time and $150.00 materials, or another $1000 for an engine kit and materials to rebuild it. plus labor at your rate??? The metal is there, but the grill is crushed. A new reproduction or good used might be ok and would be time consuming, or expensive. Paint can be expensive or rattle can, so that is not figured in here.
Was it fully drained before exposure to weather, or antifreeze, or is the block cracked? A good running Super C is less than 2000 because there were thousands made and are still out there. So with that info you can see that she is likely into $4500.00 to 5000.00 to see it as it kinda was!!! Jim

The condition it is in is rather tragic in that the tires are all going to need to be replaced. With mounting and the tires, the rears will be in the $1000.oo range for least expensive brand, the fronts maybe 250. The next issue is if the engine is locked up from sitting in the weather. (The rain cap on the exhaust is good, but far from ideal). A stuck engine will be either an easy fix for time and $150.00 materials, or another $1000 for an engine kit and materials to rebuild it. plus labor at your rate??? The metal is there, but the grill is crushed. A new reproduction or good used might be ok and would be time consuming, or expensive. Paint can be expensive or rattle can, so that is not figured in here.
Was it fully drained before exposure to weather, or antifreeze, or is the block cracked? A good running Super C is less than 2000 because there were thousands made and are still out there. So with that info you can see that she is likely into $4500.00 to 5000.00 to see it as it kinda was!!! Jim
Bob, the owner, said it ran when he "parked it there 5 years ago". I haven't tried to hand turn the engine but will try it when I get to the property next week. It's missing the carburator so we can add that to the expense list 😆.
Looking through threads here I was guessing at between $5k-6k to get it running and looking good. I'll let his daughter know that it'll be beyond value price. She really wants it to stay with the property as a rememberance to her father when he passes. I want to honor that request. This will be my weekend project to blow off steam so I figure it'll take some time to get done.

Last edited:
nice tractor , the way it is. Just get it to run .
take the plugs out shoot some mystery oil into the cylinders . Turn it over with the plug s let it soak awhile ,no rush . Get back to us
Read these articles to help , don’t have to be overwhelmed.
see the link

About all I see here is downsides. The tractor itself looks like a major hack job. The alternator appears to have no brace to hold the belt adjustment. The battery is whatever oversized one could be partly installed. The ignition appears to have had the distributor replaced with a magneto that has in turn been converted with an external coil that is just hanging there. The cultivator almost defies description. And if it was driven there and parked 5 years ago, it about had to be done on a flat rear tire. They don't get that bad in 5 years of sitting. The bottom line suggests not much pride of ownership or machine care on the part of the owner.

Next is the restoration. The daughter may have a different idea of restoration than you do, unlimited opportunity for misunderstanding and disagreement. The one thing you can expect is that after about 2 weeks she will be checking with you about every other day to see if you are finished. This is a poor situation for you to be learning the specifics of tractor restoration.

My suggestion is to advise her to find a professional restorer with tractor experience to do the work on it. Tell her she has 60 or 90 days to come get the tractor otherwise you will assume it has been abandoned. If you want to be nice, informally give her 60 days verbal notice. At the end of the 60 days, give her 60 more days in writing. If she leaves it, you have your learning project. If she takes it, you can find another that suits your interest.

Hello all

View attachment 7169
View attachment 7165

1000004939-jpg.7166

View attachment 7168
you have over 2k in new tires for it. do the mechanical , get it running good , straighten the grill up and thats good. wash it down oil up the paint and u be surpriced how good it willl look. why is everyone worried about painting a tractor. its not the paint that makes a tractor. i have a saying... a cheap paint job is like lipstck on a pig. original is always worth more money to a serious collector. its the beginners that spoil a tractor for them. so if you have 2500 or so in your pockets you can make it into a nice little tractor if its not seized up. tires are the killer.

Off to a nice addition with the cultivators on it . Got hillers also . Does he have the rear mounts Cultivators?
forgot To mention ,does he remember where the carburetor went For it ?
while your messy around doing stuff dran the radiator, crankcase and fuel tank .
goot luck keep us posted

nice tractor , the way it is. Just get it to run .
take the plugs out shoot some mystery oil into the cylinders . Turn it over with the plug s let it soak awhile ,no rush . Get back to us

This is where I'd start. If you can get it running without a lot of effort, do that first. After that, you can take it one step at a time and decide how far you want to go with it.

I was talking about the tractor in the pictures the original poster showed us. What tractor are you looking at?
i am looking at the same tractor... u made the comment that its already been repainted. well i did not say it wasnt repainted. i gave a generalized quote that people are more interested in painting than mechanical .

i am looking at the same tractor... u made the comment that its already been repainted. well i did not say it wasnt repainted. i gave a generalized quote that people are more interested in painting than mechanical .
Okay. I was genuinely confused by your comment. "This tractor was not painted" clearly does not describe the tractor in the pictures. Your generalized statement is valid, but doesn't apply to this tractor as it already has been repainted. The "original" ship pulled up anchor and sailed a long time ago.

Rustred, we have gone pretty far afield from any useful comments for Black Dragon. I certainly don't disagree with your general observation. I'm not going to go any farther in this particular direction.

I would suggest you just get running as mentioned to See if it moves . But would not by any means put more money into it till you have cleared the title in your name . Have all agreements in writing from the gentleman (owner),

About all I see here is downsides. The tractor itself looks like a major hack job. The alternator appears to have no brace to hold the belt adjustment. The battery is whatever oversized one could be partly installed. The ignition appears to have had the distributor replaced with a magneto that has in turn been converted with an external coil that is just hanging there. The cultivator almost defies description. And if it was driven there and parked 5 years ago, it about had to be done on a flat rear tire. They don't get that bad in 5 years of sitting. The bottom line suggests not much pride of ownership or machine care on the part of the owner.

Next is the restoration. The daughter may have a different idea of restoration than you do, unlimited opportunity for misunderstanding and disagreement. The one thing you can expect is that after about 2 weeks she will be checking with you about every other day to see if you are finished. This is a poor situation for you to be learning the specifics of tractor restoration.

My suggestion is to advise her to find a professional restorer with tractor experience to do the work on it. Tell her she has 60 or 90 days to come get the tractor otherwise you will assume it has been abandoned. If you want to be nice, informally give her 60 days verbal notice. At the end of the 60 days, give her 60 more days in writing. If she leaves it, you have your learning project. If she takes it, you can find another that suits your interest.
I wont take on the project unless she hands over ownership to me. I will agree that IF I ever sell it (which I don't plan on doing) she will be the first I contact and she can pay the cost of the restoration. I figure offering her $500 would be ok or is that to much to offer considering the condition it's in?

Dealing with the daughter is a little tricky. My BIL has a land contract with her so technically she still owns the property so putting these types of demands wouldnt work well. Especially since we're looking at buying connecting properties owned by her and their friends.

That changes the ground rules quite a bit from a previous land owner abandoning a tractor. In that case, I would still decline any restoration work for her/them. I would probably make an offer to buy it outright. $500 isn't horribly out of line. But for that money I would probably be looking for one that at least turns over and feels like there is some compression or has 4 tires that appear to have at least some life left in them.

If I was dealing with the owner on land purchase(s), I would not let negotiations on a "junk" tractor spoil the land process. I would politely turn down any restoration work and let the tractor just sit there until all the land dealing is done. After that, you are in a position to demand removal in a specified time.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back