New to us 1948 H distillate

eodcoduto

It looks like we will be bringing my wife's grandpa's 1948 H home this weekend. He passed away a year ago and it has been sitting so since we have a farm, the family decided it needs to come here. He purchased it used in the late 50's and farmed with it while he was in college, and at some point it got a garage restoration. It has been a few years since it's ran but I'm going to check it out Friday and I don't doubt it will pop off with some gas and clean points.

Its a distillate engine and all of the parts minus the heat shield are there, but I think they ran it on straight gas. We should be cutting grass with it soon and using it to move chicken tractors.

Look over the pictures and see what you think. Its missing the belt pulley and the wheel centers need painted but other than that it is how we want to leave it.
mvphoto108822.jpg

mvphoto108823.jpg

Looks okay. Nice old tractor that's still in the family, good that you got it before it was ruined by time and weather.
Take good care of it, give it some attention and you will be rewarded. Best regards to you and yours.

Family look around the pulley might just be there just not on the tractor. We don't keep the pulley on our H all the time it gets in the way to get to some things so it is off most of the time.

Probably no distillate has been burnt in it
since the 50's. Could be that your
grandfather in law never burnt anything but
gas in it. Be my guess.

To even burn distillate, all related
components must be there, and be
functional. Shutters, auxiliary tank, all
of it. After decades of use on soley gas,
ussually some things dissappear (taken
off), or become dis-functional.
Looks like part of the linkage is gone to
the shutters. I'd be suprized if shutters
are still there (on front of radiator).
These were bad about getting in-operable.
Most people took them off.
If they not on there, you might look around
for them when your looking around for that
belt pulley. Not sure you'll want to put
them on, but no need in leaving parts to
the tractor behind.

It will be fun to get going, I grew up Farming in Western Nebraska and we had an M with a loader and a few old 60 s and WC s and keeping them running was how I learned to wrench. Having old iron on our Alabama farm will make me happy and I have something to teach my daughter how to mechanic.

It is home and doing chores! When I got it home the mag wasn't sparking so I cleaned and set the points and it sparked great. The engine had stuck when spinning it over the previous weekend and I had figured the starter was jammed, so I pulled it and it still wouldn't turn. The cylinders were filled with ATF for a few hours and I was able to get it to spin in reverse a few revolutions, then it broke past the ring ridge and spun great. Cleaned the carb which has 3 layers of paint on it, and it fired right up, smoking away as it burned out the ATF and I ran it on 2 stroke gas until it warmed up. The main tank is clean but there is a lot of sediment so its running on the small tank for now. The No. 25? mower worked too, I knocked some blackberries down along the creek until I broke the pitman arm in long grass. The mower needs R&R so that is on the list. This tractor starts great and runs clean. It needs a temp gauge, seat spring, and a muffler but that's about it.
mvphoto109480.jpg

mvphoto109481.jpg

mvphoto109482.jpg

mvphoto109483.jpg

mvphoto109484.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back