New to YT - question on a Ford I was asked to work on

rickthefix

New User
IT's on property that I just joined for hunting. Was told it was raun out of fuel and was just left there. I need a little info on it and possibly a wiring diagram. Sticker info below:
Ford New Holland
Tractor Number BDG68536
Model CA514C
Unit 4A31B

With the help another guy, we installed a new battery and turned the key - nothing.
What/where are all the defeat switches we could have on it to get the starter to engage?
Had very limited time for much troubleshooting, it was a property work day.
Also this my first tractor to work on. I do have about 50 years of mechanicing on cars, motorcycles, mowers, etc . . . Just thought if I could get some good info or even a schematic, might cut down tremendously on TS time.
TIA
Rick

Model CA514C is a 3930 diesel with independent 540 pto and 8x2 manual transmission. That is a solid and reliable tractor to have
4A31B is a production date of January 31 1994 on day shift
Serial # BDG69536 isn t working. There is no G in the serial numbers for that year model.
BD69536 is a good number for a 94 model tractor

There are 2 safeties in the start circuit on the model, 1st is the high/low range shifter mush be in neutral, 2nd is the pto lever should be back to disengage the pto
If it still won t crank there is a fuse and relay in the fuse box behind the battery

there was a 1994 New Holland just sitting on the property?

Sounds like you've already bagged the most valuable trophy you'll ever get on the property.

I'm only here for the comedy. Destroked knows these things... any advice I give will only muddy the water.

I'm just thinking that maybe I should join more hunting groups, cuz farmers can't afford to run a tractor like that out of fuel and just walk away from it ;-)

Cool, thanks for the quick replies!
Yes, I mistyped the tractor number - no G in it.
This helps quite a bit. Any chance on a wiring diagram (just because) ?
Somebody said their tractor, not a FNH, had a seat switch on it.

Well, the guy that is leasing out the property knows it's there, is in the club & we'll be able to use it to plow the feed plot to help with herd management. So I still benefit!
I also got a Polaris ATV 2x4 running yesterday, bad battery, fouled gas, clogged carb jet, no key. Just bypassed the ignition switch to get it running.
They have a Yancey track FE loader there with a bad track tensioner, I'll leave that one alone, cant get the equipment all the way back there even if I had it for the repair!

(quoted from post at 17:08:56 09/13/23) Well, the guy that is leasing out the property knows it's there, is in the club & we'll be able to use it to plow the feed plot to help with herd management. So I still benefit!
I also got a Polaris ATV 2x4 running yesterday, bad battery, fouled gas, clogged carb jet, no key. Just bypassed the ignition switch to get it running.
They have a Yancey track FE loader there with a bad track tensioner, I'll leave that one alone, cant get the equipment all the way back there even if I had it for the repair!

A Yancey track Front end loader?? I find Yancey is a Caterpillar dealer, not a manufacturer. Might it be a Caterpillar crawler frontend loader?

(quoted from post at 15:52:30 09/13/23) Cool, thanks for the quick replies!
Yes, I mistyped the tractor number - no G in it.
This helps quite a bit. Any chance on a wiring diagram (just because) ?
Somebody said their tractor, not a FNH, had a seat switch on it.

No seat switch on those tractors
Compared to the older models the 40 series wiring harness is a rats nest, I don t have a new enough manual that shows the wiring schematics for that model

I know your new here a welcome to the forum, but just a FYI
There are a number of well knowledged Ford people on this forum that only view the Ford tractor section
I advise you start a new post there with future questions

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back