New Tractor

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I have a 36hp 424 international 2wd. i want more power and 4wd with loader. i have 40 acres mostly wooded in louisiana and am looking to partially thin and clear with new tractor. i also have a creek throught the middle of the property and need to building small bridges and put in culverts.

i have been looking at kubota M5040, NH TN60A, JD 5203, and Cse JXC60. all have approximately 55 engine and 45 pto hp.

anyone have any suggestions. i feel that these may be a bit large but i really do not want a compact tractor with plastic fenders that will get busted.

6 ft bush hog, 6ft blade, 6ft brush rake, 5 ft disk.

thanks,
 
All of the models mentioned will do what you need.Do you have any dealer preference,location,if neither of those two are an issue with any of the three,than compare prices.pd
 
That Kubota 5040 is probably the best tractor of them all. It looks, drives, and handles like a tough tractor. I believe it should be perfect for your use, although maybe just a tad bit too big. Only just a tad.

I remember seeing the 5040 on sale in lancaster farming paper for 11,000!
 
my father-in-law has a Montana and loves is doing exactly what you have stated front loader and bush hog 4x4 many features like 3 speed rear 5 speed trans direct and independent pto rated at 38 hp works great I think he paid around 18,000 for all sips diesel run at full throttle bush hogging most of the day and used only a few gallons
 
After 6 months of shopping the lot, I went with a Branson. Might include them in your investigation. Very tough and well built.

Mark
 
I have an L3430 Kubota which works fine 90% of the time. The other 10% is when I'm in the woods doing what you want to do.
The M series you are looking at will be much heavier than my L- and I think you will be happy having the extra HP and weight. Beefier loader too. If you have a local dealer for support that helps alot. I have kept up with the regular maintenance schedule and haven't had problem one in 350 hrs.
Grub
 
Why not rent a bulldozer for a month (160 Hours) and then see if you still need the tractor. A months rental of a 450 bulldozer runs $3000 to $3500, and it will do more safer and easier than a small tractor. If you want to run around in the woods in a tractor, buy one with a woods cage or risk being hurt or worse. I would rather have a big tractor myself, and then trade down after I was through with it. But, its your money and your life.

JoshuaGA
 
OOHH,YOU'RE KILLING ME HERE! I didn't see anything Agco or Massey on the list. Serionsly though,anything that you listed there is OK as long as you have a good dealer to back it up. That would be my first consideration since there is so little difference in most of these tractors anymore. There are very few maunfacturers making then all.
 
I would buy the JD 5203. Reason 1. Deere is the only dealer around here now 2. I like green tractors. You really need to consider resale value and the availability of parts and service. If you buy cheap tractor,thats what you will get.
 
Best buys right now as far as what you get for the dollar, 5X03 series Deere and 500 series Massey Fergusons just recently released.
 
Montana tractors are pretty popular down south, I"ve quite a number of them in Ms. and Ala. Seem like a decent machine, I wonder what dealer support is like?
 
JUST DROVE THE 5203, SEEMS VERY STRONG, 33 DEGREES HERE AND THE ENGINE SMOKED AND SHOOK ALOT AT FIRST, ONLY 2ND AND R SYNCHRO, ALL OTHERS YOU MUST CLUTCH. I ALSO DROVE A 5320 SMALLER COMPACT WITH FULL SYNCHRO THAT"S NICE. NO SHAKE OR SMOKE IN THAT ENGINE AT ALL. JD 5203 ASSEMBLED IN INDIA.

CASE IH WAS SMOOTHER RUNNING BUT DID NO HAVE A BUCKET WHEN I DROVE IT.

BOTH JD WOULD PICK UP FRONT END WITH BUCKET TILTING NOT PUSHING DOWN.
 
Any name brand tractor will have good parts support. He hasn't even bought a tractor and needs to think about selling it? Resale value is not a big concern unless he plans to sell the tractor right after buying it. I suspect he's buying it to use for a number of years. On the bigger JD's, they've always talked about resale value. When the green paint costs a lot more in the first place, then you'd want higher resale value. The smaller JD's need to be priced more in line with other makes. Dealer support is important though. Dave
 
Agco is huge. The largest agricultural equipment company in the world in fact. Massey Ferguson, Allis Chalmers and a long list of other premier brands are all owned by Agco. Look on the web. You must be new to tractors. Dave
 
NOT ANY DEALERS IN LOUISIANA.

I HAVE ONLY BEEN DRIVING TRACTORS SINCE I WAS ABOUT 8 YEARS OLD BY MYSELF PULLING A DOUBLE PAN TURNING PLOW.
 
the dealer in Newnan Ga. has been helpful when we asked them questions or needed the shear pins for the bush hog we had to learn how to start the hog with the clutch then turn it to independent and let it go.he has had it over 2 years and no trouble.we looked at several tractors before going with this brand seemed to be built better than others plastic hood but the loader protects it and when some stuff hits it it pops out instead of being a big dent in metal.fiberglass will bust and break but that plastic will give then bounce back out in most cases. I saw a dealer down in Joshuas neck of the woods had them lined up by the road ready for pick up. Have you heard any feed back Joshua?I saw some pretty big ones down there cabs and all.
 
AGCO bought up a lot of misc. brands. Current production includes Massey Ferguson, Agco, Challenger (also available through your local Cat dealer), Fendt, Valtra. The own a lot of the older brands too such as New Idea, Oliver, White, Allis, etc.

As to what to shop for, I dont have a strong preference between NH, Deere, and Challenger in the current production models. Since what I've got now is NH I'd probably lean that way but my local Cat dealer is really making a strong case with the Challengers and they seem like really good machines.

In Louisana, the dealer locator shows Agco dealers in THIBODEAUX and Plaquemine. Other dealers locations listed for Massey and Challenger.
 
Apparently you must have had no contact with the rest of the world, to never have heard of Agco. I find it hard to believe there are no dealers in Louisiana. Might not be a dealer close to you but none in the entire state? What tractor were you driving pulling the plow? You must have been exceptionally tall and strong to be able to operate the pedals by yourself. Dave
 
Nearest ones 110,204,219,279 miles south, Pretty tall boy and I have picture (somewhere) with me on my international 424 36 hp utility tractor pulling a 2 pan breaking plow.
 
(quoted from post at 05:09:41 01/04/08) the dealer in Newnan Ga. has been helpful when we asked them questions or needed the shear pins for the bush hog we had to learn how to start the hog with the clutch then turn it to independent and let it go.he has had it over 2 years and no trouble.we looked at several tractors before going with this brand seemed to be built better than others plastic hood but the loader protects it and when some stuff hits it it pops out instead of being a big dent in metal.fiberglass will bust and break but that plastic will give then bounce back out in most cases. I saw a dealer down in Joshuas neck of the woods had them lined up by the road ready for pick up. Have you heard any feed back Joshua?I saw some pretty big ones down there cabs and all.

Wouldn't be STS Equipment, would it? On Highway 82 just wes of Ty Ty? Yeh, see them most days going to college. They look decent enough. I shopped around on compact tractors for a while for us to use in the chicken houses, but ended up buying a New Holland LS180 Skid Steer. Last couple of weeks used it to clear up some woods. Got about a third of it done, but need a bulldozer to get down some of the bigger brush. Done a lot more than expected, but rough on me and the skid steer. Montana tractors are about as good as any I seen, but I believe to run around the woods, I would look for a beefy frame. Have you considered a Mahindria tractor. Patrick Tractor over in Tifton sells Mahindrias and they look like good, solid, reliable tractors. I don't doubt Montanas are good tractors, but they are made more to turn the pto than to be pulled hard. Small fast turning engines simply cannot be used to lug logs day in day out and be expected to last. They are great on a bush hog because the have a greater range of RPMs to pull from, or on a loader because they are so compact. Otherwise, I think I would purchase a larger framed tractor, with 4WD and Syncro, and preferably a shuttle transmission, of some discription, add a loader with the bucket and brush rake, and install a forestry cage with limb risers. If you play in the woods without a cage, more than one limb will smack you. Also, try to get the widest tires with the highest ply you can, and preferably a forestry tire, because nothing will ruin your day worse than driving a limb through your tire. And please, consider a bulldozer in your rougher areas. The tractor will be fine for light brush, but if you encounter something heavier, a bulldozer will be faster and cheaper, that tractor is only designed for so much before it breaks. And finally, before you spend the money, look at dealers for rental tractors. A few hours on a tractor knocks thousands off. In my area, larger growers rent tractors to use in vegetables, or buying points rent tractors to handle trailers (these are peanuts we are talking about, and since we dry on trailers, it takes alot of trailers to handle the crop), and most come back with between 300-800 hours, but are several thousand dollars cheaper than new. My thoughts.

JoshuaGA

P.S. Roy, not knocking, if we had bought a tractor instead of the skid steer, it probably would have been a Montana. Almost looks like an Oliver, doesn't it? :)
 
yeah oliver could be in the gene pool but not likely.the one we have is a 3840 and works great I used it to cut a steep bank that would slide down no ballast in tires so I put it in 4 wheel and solved that problem too steep to go up with the bush hog on it front wanted to rise up and no place to fill the loader bucket with dirt. A skid steer is a great investment we have a old Toyota sdk7 that gets a regular workout I pulled a 6 foot bush and bog harrow with about 500lbs of rail road iron on it this thing would pull it with it digging almost to the top of the disc with no problem. We looked at the Lenar line it had a perkins engine as the Massey Ferguson in my yard does but seemed to be a lighter built frame look at the 3840 4x4 next time you go by great one for general use but for daily farming I would get a bigger more hp for that. I like the Montana better than the MF in the yard sorry to you MF fans
 
Been farming all my life & 59 yrs young...never heard of Agco till I bought a old WD-45 to work my garden..located in NW MS...Marvin
 
Been farming all my life & 59 yrs young...never heard of Agco till I bought a old WD-45 to work my garden..located in NW MS...Marvin
 
A note on the Lenar tractors. They are prone to overheating and working one that hard would kill it instantly. Lenar tractors look good on the outside, but really, if bought, should be handled with kids gloves. Actually using it to farm with will bring you nothing but breakdowns and failures. I have had 4 of these, 3 of which died before hitting 60 hrs and the fourth one overheats in about 30 minutes. The value of any tractor is found after the sale thru support and service and the dealership to stand behind the product. I found Lenar to be a shady company with empty promises.

Patrick Webb 1 734 439 0686
 

The 2wd are synchro F/R, fwa model is standard with a full synchro speed trans ($4330 for fwa and speed syncro)
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top