New use for shop vac

C.R.

Member
I had a bees nest in the ground and no safe way to get rid of them too close to the house for a fire and raid just annoyed them so i set up the shop vac with the nozzle by the hole and let it go after about an hour the bees were all in the vacume a shot of bug killer dowm the hose problem solved! and the dead bees are already cleaned up!!
 
Keep this in mind for next time, Brake cleaner in a spray can kills them instantly on contact. I have used this a few times on the back of the deck furniture or in the exterior window trim.
 
I have heard break cleaner works but there wasnt any around the shopvac sucked them up like a fat kid eating sphagetti!
 
Now for the real question. Where they in fact bees or where they yellow jackets or some other type of wasp. Sorry I hate seeing bees get a bum rap for things all the time when most of the time it was a problem with wasps.
X bee keeper here and as I said hate to see bees picked on
 
Howdy,
Been there done that many years ago, had a crack in the foundation, yellow jackets kept going in and out all day. I had to keep the shop vac running all day and didn't shut it off till after dark. The first try failed as I only ran the vac a few hours, discovered that the "bees" kept flying right up till dark.
Bob S.
 
Yes it will. I used to use diesel or coal oil in a spray bottle. It will knock them dead as well. BUT...I found out that water with some dish washing soap in a spray bottle is just as effective, they cannot fly and die in moments. plus you dont have to worry (too much anyway) about what you spray it on. IE the house, your car/truck/tools/electronics etc etc etc. so I keep bottles loaded sitting around with the soapy water now. plus when I get a flat, I can find out where I am losing air....which is what I was doing when I discovered it will kill the bees.
 
WD40 will also. I was helping my Mother put the window awnings up in Florida. the little yellow jackets were under every awing. I ask Mom if she had any bug killer and she went inside and came out with a can of WD40. I said that aint bug spray. She said just use it! When I sprayed it on them they turned black and dropped dead. She said they had been using it as bug killer for years.
 
I guess they were not bees , sorry about that I think they are yellow jackets? about the size of a bee but not fuzzy and yellow and black striped
 
I guess they were not bees , sorry about that I think they are yellow jackets? about the size of a bee but not fuzzy and yellow and black striped
 
Yeah but what would you rather spray in places that could land on its unintended target, WD40, BRAKE FLUID, diesel fuel, or water with some dish washing liquid in it? Then, think about the cost of a can of brake fluid, a can of wd40, a gallon of diesel, then a one dollar bottle of DW soap at the dollar store that will make a few full bottles of a sure fire wasp killer? dont take a rocket surgeon...
 
Sounds like a great use for the shop vac but my favorite use still is cleaning slow/plugged drains.

You cover the vent and suck that water right into that vac. Fill the drain and do it two or three times.

That drain will drain like new.

Don't tell the plumbers this or they may need to reduce their bills.
 
Small but more of a wasp like body and black and yellow would in fact be a yellow jacket. Also yellow jackets are known to nest in the ground where as few types of bees nest in the ground and the one most important bee the honey bee does not nest in the ground very often does happen but not very often
 
Had a couple of yellow jacket holes in ground, waited till night fall and put a 5 minute road fuses in them, not more yellow jackets...
 
yes they had to be yellow jackets ,grumpy little beggars, bees are ok,not aggressive and i like to see em around the garden but not these guys!
 
I do the drain thing to.The other thing I do is hook it to a 5 gallon pail and take a hose from the pail into fuel tanks oil resivoirs ETC.. sucks it into the pail instead of stinking up the vac.
 
Howdy,
Just had another thought about them "bees", won't be long before cool weather moves in and they get real agressive. In the fall when the hornets & wasps get mean you can't find a can of bug killer between Green Bay and Milwaukee. Stock up now.
Bob S.
 
I had the little buggers crawling in and out of a crack in a hollow block basement wall. Went out at night with flashlight and dusted the crack/hole with Sevin dust. No more "bees". Leo
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top