Newly rebuilt 630 starter issues

Randy G

Rebuilt 630 starter with new drive, solenoid, all bushings, brushes etc. When on the tractor it would not always engage the flywheel and most recently did not engage and would not stop spinning. Had to disconnect the battery to stop starter from spinning. What could the causes be and how to correct the problem? Thanks!

Is the plunger binding/sticking in the solenoid?

Is the solenoid from ''The Land of Almost Right''?

Also, where the mounting faces on the starter and the starter mounting area CLEAN with no debris pinched between them that could cause the starter to be ''cocked'' a little?

Did they replace the bendix when they rebuilt the starter. With the flywheel cover off watch the bendix and see if it is engaging and slipping or not engaging at all.

Did you inspect the ring gear? A nasty, compromised, worn down and ruined ring gear will ruin your day as well.

If I remember correctly, there are adjustments to limit or at least control the solenoid ''throw'' on the bendix. I think the details are in a service bulletin - it's been a while since I've had my hands on a 630 starter.

Thanks for all the great suggestions. Forgot about the drive throw adjustment on the solenoid. Sounds like a good place to start. But what would cause the starter to not stop spinning?

(quoted from post at 07:24:37 02/08/23) Thanks for all the great suggestions. Forgot about the drive throw adjustment on the solenoid. Sounds like a good place to start. But what would cause the starter to not stop spinning?

If we are thinking of the same thing, the 630 starter didn't have the adjustment on the solenoid linkage like many later HD Delco starters, just a couple of flat straps more or less like an extended chain link, Key #25.
k8K4IwS.jpg

It would be a good idea to check out the spring, key #56.

Looks like the 530 uses the same linkage part # R11063R as the 630. The 530 list says its adjustable. We'll have to check if the 630's is adjustable.

PROBLEM SOLVED! The solenoid went bad. When the plunger retracts it turns the power on to spin the drive. That switch was stuck on and the drive kept spinning but the plunger would no longer retract to move the drive forward.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back