next up - bull pinons

riverbend

1940 H. The tractor is one piece again after splitting it to work on the transmission, replace the clutch and rear main seal. Next task is to replace the bull pinion bearings and seals.

The tractor is currently blocked up under the transmission and the wide front is wedged to keep it from tilting. It looks like the axle only has to move out about 4 to clear the bull gear. I'm thinking of using a jack and two roll around hoists to remove the wheel, axle, and housing in one piece.

What do you think ? Recipe for disaster ? Everybody does it like that ? Nobody would ? Any ideas to make it easier would be appreciated.
Thanks
Greg

If just doing one side at a time Bolt a plate to the drawbar holes on the bottom and use a tube welded to it for a support with two of them telescoping they would be able to adjust to fit the correct height for the axle to set. Also would be stable while wiggling around on it . could be reversable or wide enough to use for both sides with a short tube at the plate for another to fit into with a pin holding it.

I made an adapter plate that I bolt onto my transmission stand that I sell, and then bolt to the lower two bolts the hold the PTO into the tractor. When you go to replace the pinion bearings and seals, I suggest that you remove the axle housing and replace the gasket that goes between the axle housing and the differential housing.
Here are a couple pictures of the Adjustable Rear Housing Stand.
More pictures can be found at www.charliesrepair.com

mvphoto100512.jpg

mvphoto100513.jpg

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back