Roger Legg

New User
Working on famall A got plenty of fire at coil wire but none to plug wires. Could this be the condencer? PS points not firing
 
Is this a mag or a distributor?

Are you seeing "fire" at the primary terminal on a distributor coil, or at the secondary terminal on a distributor coil, or out of the upper (coil tower) on a mag?

Inquiring minds want to know!
 
Points that's sanded or filed usually don't last very long. Replace them and the condenser. Should fix the problem if the wires and plugs are good........rw
 
I had an Oliver 66 that was getting spark out of the coil wire. But there was no spark out the distributor cap. The aluminum contacts in the cap where the wires go was severly oxidized. Cleaned up with emery cloth and she fired.
 
If there's any spark at all, it will zap though the oxidized high-tension terminals. You must have also bumped something elese around to get your spark back.
 
I agree with you 100% on sanding/filing the points being a waste of time and a GREAT cause of aggravation when the points screw up again.

However, if they are only oxidized a bit, and NOT burned, they will clean up nicely by drawing a clean piece of cardstock through them a few times to burnish them, followed by a spray of electrical ontact cleaner to remove the residue.
 
"plenty of fire at coil wire but none to plug"
Forget all that talk about points..Its got to be in the distributor. Or the wires.
 
I would remove the three screws and shine the points with some cardboard as they can get alight film and not fire. There is another post had the same problem and thats what he did and now it runs fine. I will pull a wire off the sparkplug and put another plug on and make sure the plug has a good ground then hit the starter and see if ther is fire to the plug gives a quick check.
 
What does working on mean? I have seen where the inside of the distributor has been painted with the points out. When this happens you have voltage at the points but no spark because the points base is not grounded. Happens when people get carried away with detailing.
 
Are your points actually opening and set properly? Didn't see that ask.

I found that a coupla times. No Spark. Are the points set properly? Yup, I set them to ?.

Get there and check the point gap and there aint none and the screw is not tight. Yup set them and aint no reason to double check cause I know I did it. Sooo I will pay someone to double check for me. (:^D
 
I agree Ken.Points are obviously working to make spark at the coil!

Bad rotor,cap,or ign wires.Leave the points alone.
 
I was running the tractor when it got dark. Parked it in shop and when I went out the next morning had no fire except out of top of coil on magneto. I removed Magneto and activated by hand good spark out top none going to points. points are set at .o13 per manual.
 
Since you have spark out of the coil section of the magneto, it sounds like a cap, rotor, or rotor timing or fiber gear issue.

Cut and paste this link to view the a Blue Ribbon IH mag service manual on the "Rudi's Cubs" site:

http://www.cleancomputes.com/Cub/Blue%20Ribbon%20Service%20Manuals/GSS-5035%20Service%20Manual%20Magnetos/index.html
Manual
 
Magneto! Different horse! I was thinking distributor. When you had the magneto off did you pit a wire in each terminal and check for spark each time it snapped over? If you did, did you try it without hooking up the switch wire? If the magneto sparks at each terminal when clamped in a vice as you snap it over by hand, it will spark on the tractor unless it gets grounded out at the point where a connector comes out of the magneto.

Should have ask this first. Does this magneto have an external coil?
 
Internal coil! Yes I did try ea hole on cap no fire escept coil wire. Got condenser ordered. Thanks Dick for your help
 
Got up yesterdy and started all over. Put magnedo in vice replaced condensor, points and set .013 new plugs set .022 new plug wires.Instaled magneto no fire Removed magneto removed points cover put on rotor observed firing before reaching plug hole removed timing gear on magnedo timing was not set on short timing mark set this reinstaled magnedo on tractor runs great after working on 4 days and sleepless nights.Thanks and hope I can help you sometime Mr Rog
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top