Nuts and Rust...

Britcheflee

I am getting to the point of putting nuts back on bottom of con rods - the ones that came off are fine thread and have slots around the top - looks like a castle nut but not quite real thin slots - on one con rod there is a regular nut and what looks like a thin lock nut!
I read that it is recommended to replace these nuts. When I go to auto store they are having a problem with matching the nuts. I have also been told by a couple of older guys that it is ok to replace the old ones - just torque them down.
What to do? If recommended to replace what should I go in and ask for exactly?

Re Rust: Weather is closing in, I have tractor tarped but even so moisture from air caused some light surface rust on exposed engine parts last time it rained - this isnt going to affect anything is it? Going out now to give everything a spray down with wd40 to try to keep this at a minimum.

So far I have two pistons in the new sleeves!!!

Lee

(quoted from post at 18:56:54 05/14/11) I am getting to the point of putting nuts back on bottom of con rods - the ones that came off are fine thread and have slots around the top - looks like a castle nut but not quite real thin slots - on one con rod there is a regular nut and what looks like a thin lock nut!
I read that it is recommended to replace these nuts. When I go to auto store they are having a problem with matching the nuts. I have also been told by a couple of older guys that it is ok to replace the old ones - just torque them down.
What to do? If recommended to replace what should I go in and ask for exactly?

Lee

Use plain 3/8-24 hex nuts (grade 5 or 8) and a high strength liquid thread locker. Toss the Pal nuts.

TOH

Do as Hokie says.
A little light rust isn't going to hurt anything.
But jettison the WD40.
Use something heavier like LPS 2 or 3 or even PB Blaster.
A hand spray bottle with some lacquor thinner + some engine oil is handy for things like that. Dilute it enough so it still will spray. Cheap too.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back