O/T Case 1680 combine, help please

Ok, I know this is really off topic but we bought a 1990 Case 1680 that was delivered to us last year, used it in beans then switched it over to corn. Well, stupid me didn't check all the settings for beans, now instead of going 5.5 to mph it's going 3mph. And the grain scan monitor needle is pegged out, so where does the grain selector and the meter knobs need to be for beans? Also their kinda wet in some areas, do I need to adjust the rotor or concave or sieves? I need help from an Axial-Flow expert. Please help.
 
cutting beans at 5.5mph sounds tooo fast, 3.5-4,3mph more like it. Install new fuel filters if there is a question.

You need to set rotor at 5-600 rpm (higher figure for wet beans/green stalks). I usually run my fan speed at max (1000rpm). I usually run the concave (front cage around rotor) about 3.5-4.5 for soybeans. You can run concaves at a closer setting if you have excessive engine power consumption. I had what was called a corn seive (top seive as you look in back end) in my 1680 and I usually ran it and bottom seive pretty well closed, maybe open 3/8" to 1/2".

your Grain loss monitor will have 2 dials to turn, one has three settings, small, medium and large and is for the size of particle you want to "read". The second dial has numbers 1-9, the higher # selected the easier/quicker GLM indicator needle will "read" (lower # will need larger loss /flow in order to make needle rise). I usually set my GLM top dial in the medium position for both beans and corn and the bottom dial 8 beans, 7 for corn. You need to harvest enough crop to get returns in combine working (4-500'??) and then check on ground behind combine, if loss is at acceptable levels, harvest crop at same speed as test strip and set GLM bottom dial so needle will run in the middle of green.
Try these settings as a starting points. Might be a good investment in a owners manual. Good luck.
 
CaseIH has a great tool to help people understand how to set an Axial-flow combine. It has an adjustable simulator where you can set the the fan speed, travel speed, rotor speed, concaves and sieves and see the effect each change has on other systems in the combine as well as MOG (material other than grain) and grain loss. Check out the press release here: http://www.caseih.com/news/newsevents.aspx?navid=119&RL=ENNA&newsid=2743 I spent a year in the field and factory working with Case on building and testing this e-learning course and it is a great tool.
Case IH Combine simulator course
 
We run the "concave" setting at CORN or #3 on the gage when beans are dry & combining well. In tough going, or hard shelling, closing the concave to #2 or a little less will aid in threshing out tough beans. 4 MPH is about right for our combine in dry beans--slower in tough crop.
 
Our's is set up similar to how Dave is saying other than the concaves being set at about 2 and running 2-3 mph. I have a 1460 and rough terrain and rocks though.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top