O/T Ford Super Duty truck won't start.

i have a 1997 Ford Super Duty with a 460 engine in it that will crank but there is no fire to the plugs. I parked it one day running fine and when I wanted to use it again it would not start. I have taken the coil and the computer which is mounted on the inside of the right fender and had them tested at Autozone and they tested OK. Any ideas and help would be appreciated. Thanks. I need to get it running to haul a tractor.

I have always been a do-it-yourself person, but with all the sensors and stuff on the vehicles now, I reluctantly take them to a reputable shop or dealership. When I was working at the local Ford dealership a couple brought their vehicle in one day, they had already spent about three or four hundred dollars on parts and it still would not run properly. One of our techs hooked it up to diagnostics and had it running like a top in a few minutes. Unless you have the proper diagnostics it is almost impossible to figure some of these things out. Just my thoughts.

Is it throwing any DTC's?

Is the electric fuel pump running when you first turn the key on prior to turning the engine over?
Check fuel pressure at the rail to see if the fuel pressure regulator is working.

I can't hear the fuel pump but how would that affect the engine not firing. There is no spark to the plugs. No remote starter. Since it is a Super Duty it does not use the new code reader. I know the fuel tank is not pumping from the rear tank. Thanks

If the fuel pump is not running check the pump relay on left inner fender. Hot-wire if necessary @fuse block. Not sure how this would affect spark but it fixed a no-start for me.

Another thought: Not sure if your '97 has an ignition module on the side of the distributer. If so that can also cause a no-start with no warning. Places like Auto zone and others can test them. HTH Pete (email open)

check owners manual, to see if their is a emergency/fuel shut off botton, also know as crash/roll-over botton, it will shut fuel off to engine in case of crash/roll-over..has one on my ranger, while vaucuming out cab at car-wash, hit the botton and shut off fuel, didn't know about it, learned the hard way...

if truck has two tanks, a friend had problem with switch over valve from one tank to another, it was sitting netural/between both tanks, not letting fuel get to motor... another idea to check

I might chime in hear about the fuel pump relay. In the power distribution box under the hood. There is a horn relay right next to the fuel pump relay that you could swap them around to see if the pump runs.

It WILL set codes and give data . Take test light to neg side of coil while cranking, see any pulsing ? if no no trigger to coil . Pick up coil in dist or module issue then .

have you checked the codes?

always the best place to start.

Modern egnines are pretty good at telling you what's wrong with them.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back