O/T History may repeat itself!

Anonymous-0

Well-known Member
I was looking at a book after church yesterday and it has a chapter on how some things were in America durring World War 2. One of the pictures had a railroad car inspector checking tank cars full of gas to see that the car(s) is good to go and he is also has a lever action rife in his hands and the comments were that this was done in may locations to ward off sabotage. The price of gas? maybe rail yards will have armed personell again. I though it was interesting. J.
 
They have armed guards at the entrance gates at the military base I retired from. Never had them during the Korean or Viet Nam Wars. It was 911 that caused it Hal
 
I worked at Fort Ord, CA for 13 years and we had armed guards all over the place, but their guns were empty because they couldn't be trusted with bullets in them, because they might shoot themselves in the foot.
Really That army before the Gulf War was not much to talk about. I think we a war now and then just to keep these kids in tune with what its all about.
Walt
 
As a retired Railroad Machinist/Locomotive
mechanic, I can tell you that lots of Diesel
fuel is hauled by rail. Also, at some places in
Chicago some train crews, on arrival, stay in the
locomotive until a "Special Agent",(Railroad
Police) arrive to escort them to the crew terminal
We were told, however, that the targets of
criminals/gangs were piggyback trailers and
containers loaded with TVs and VCRs etc. The
yards were patrolled by armed agents with dogs.
 
My one boy works for CSX and they had container come loose. They had lights set up very well. It had some kind of electronic stuff in it but to repair the track a lot less light was used. They used to have a train that hauled liquor. It had a railroad police escort. Also the IH combines that wnet to Russia a few years ago had railroad police following the train. J.
 
We had a guard in a motor pool at Ft Bragg to shoot another soldier driving a truck out of the motor pool. I never pulled guard duty at Bragg, but when I did I never had any ammo. Hal
 
''I never pulled guard duty at Bragg, but when I did I never had any ammo. Hal"

????????????????????????????

You NEVER pulled guard duty.

But when you DID you didn't have ammo.
 
Quote: Ch0ck430C
"''I never pulled guard duty at Bragg, but when I did I never had any ammo. Hal"
????????????????????????????

You NEVER pulled guard duty.

But when you DID you didn't have ammo."


Did it ever occur to you that maybe, just maybe he was stationed at more than one base?
Then again, you're an idiot and probobly didn't think of that before opening that dumb mouth of yours.
 
In the Nam we went to a very large base camp. I was driving a gun jeep and the engine went out so my buddy that drove the wrecker and I went to the ship yard. The gards yelled halt who goes there? My buddy daid Cornel so and so said to pick up a container. The guards who were probably in country for a week at tops opened the gates and we lifted a engine container with the wrecker and the guards opened the gates and we drove off with a brand new stolen motor for my jeep.

Once on guard duty in rocket alley I was put on guard duty, I bout got my butt kicked when I tried to stop the G I's from going in and out of the village to meet up with the ladies, or when I tried to stop the ladies from coming in. Some things I just had to learn.

In our small town my friends run a gas station for I think 23 years and had 1 drive off. Last week they had two. I sure hop that is not a sign of things to come.

I do see folks taking things into their own hands because of the court systems now days. Seems there may be some unexplained accidents while folks protect themselves and property. Things seem to be getting pretty tough, without any bright light in the future. My dad always made the coment that us kids never understood the great depression, and he hoped we died never knowing. Perhaps I lived to long.
 
My grandfather had a fuel tank on his farm during WW2. He caught a neighbor stealing it, so he locked it up. His neighbor threatened him with a gun, wanting gas. Bad idea, my grandfather's uncle was the county sheriff. Neighbor spent the next year in jail. Never spoke to my grandfather again. I guess the old boy didn't care much.
 
I remember the WWII days very well. There was a lot of talk of sabotage but very little, if any, ever occurred. We imprisoned just about everyone of Japanese descent. The Germans tried to send trained saboteurs to the US and Canada but they were all apprehended in short order, such was the vigilance of that day. For example, one of them left a matchbook from Belgium in a hotel room in Canada which was quickly reported by hotel employees. 8 of them landed in the US by submarine and were trained to blow up locks on the Ohio river, destroy aluminum factories and rairoad facilities. They were all rounded up, tried by military tribunal (where have we heard that?) and executed. The guard in the picture you saw was probably guarding against the plain theft of gasoline as it was rationed then. We all had locks on our farm storage tanks in those days. Thieves would syphon gas out of cars back then.
 
For those of us who lived though WW-II it was a different time and place we were all scared of Germans and Japanese. My Japanese neighbor were arrested by the FBI their bathroom was a radio station. You just had to know your neighbors and turn in anyone that was suspicious even if they were your friends. We were at War with two major wartime nations that were both dead set on taking us over.
Besides I don't speak much German or Japanese.
Had German brother in law and German step father after the war were my best friends.
Also live in a community that had lots of Japanese and they were also good friends although only at school as we had to keep it from our parents.
Mother had lots of sugar and gas stamps because we lived on the farm and she worked in Sacramento 30 miles away at the AFBase but road the AFB bus from town 5 miles away. She traded butter for sugar stamps We had a whole cabinet full when the war ended.
Walt
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top