O.T. Need straight answers .

Lou from Wi.

Need some straight answers please. Thinking of two processes I need done.
1st. dental implant.
2.cataract removal left eye.

At age 79, with insulin Dependant diabetes,some dentists that we looked into will do an implant system, others say no.Has anyone on here with diabetes have this process done with success? Trying to get away from the machine gun clacking of dentures when talking or eating, or goop under the plate.

The cataracts are giving me problems,the left eye is like looking thru what I call a chicken gizzard structure, the right eye I can still see fairly well. Just thought I'd ask and see if anyone had the processes done with having diabetes type 2. Checking in with the vets,but was warned to hold off until the new eye Drs. have proven their skills.I could still play like Ray Charles if I had to lol.but would rather not. I have 6 teeth left 3 upper, 3 lower, left side. The rest are el gono.Appreciate an honest reply.
Regards,
LOU

On dentists, I had a great guy for years. Same age and only had a secretary/dental assistant. Did what I wanted; price was right.

He retired. Had a mess in finding a reasonable dentist. They are a dime a dozen around here, especially the young ones and you have to pick and choose.

The young ones have a lot of bills and my opinion is that they are after the $$$$$ as one would expect. I am over 70 and don't need all the high fuluting stuff a 19 year old might require.

I have since located what I want and that is great. Learned a thing or two about what dental school turns out and dental insurance you pay premiums for........my experience is it is not like medical ins. Ins Co. makes a deal with dentist for reduced rate and that's it. Dentist still wants in your pocket.

On cateract surgery, no big deal down here. Works great. Wife had it done. Would do it again. Pick one with references and don't worry about it. Do one, get over it and then do the other.

HTH,
Mark

Can't comment on the teeth issue as I have my own. Cataracts I can say not a problem for some one with diabetes,as I am diabetic and had the surgery done. So glad I did. Wore glasses for years,now only need readers.

always,
Was the surgery done by laser or regular surgery?
Did you have to wear the eyepatch? How long before the eyesight came back? I appreciate getting all the truthful information from someone who has had it done. Alot of the so called reviews from the web ,seems I don't like to believe them as I would from folks on here,can't trust the info from posters on unknown sites.
Thank you for your first hand knowledge, it is valuable to me.
Regards,
LOU

Mark,
Thank you, I appreciate your reply. Been looking around here, but it seem on the dental front most have very little experience doing implants on healthy people-less than 1 yr. I do not wish to be a guinea pig for their experience in this matter of both types of health concerns. Getting some information from VA for eye cataract surgery and hearing problems,just trying to find some people who have had this done before.
I Thank you again for your help in this matter.
Regards, LOU

I am Mrs Ralph wd45, I have had the cataracts removed. I am a type 2 diabetic. The procedure was a snap. No problem I now have 20 20 vision and get to drive for the first time in 50 years without needing glasses passed the department of licensing eye test perfectly. I would recommend it for anyone. I too have dentures and would like to get implants but I don't know anyone who has them. If you get them, let me know thanks and good luck.

Mrs Ralph again forgot to tell you no patch, done by laser, I was totally awake and aware now I see like an Eagle

Mrs Ralph wd45,
Thank you, that is an encouraging reply.It is nice to hear a success on this type of concern.I will let you know if and when the implants work for me.Thanks again,
Regards,
LOU

Read where I messed up in the post above...oil in coolant. I speak more about implants. Actually, I know quite a bit about all manner of implants. Did a lot of research on the topic.

If you are concerned about your age my mother had one removed at age 96 and was very happy she had it done. I also had one removed.They should have done it earlier.

i'm 77 and i had both eyes done about 7 mo back. i'm also diabetic on the needle. one eye came out great, the other down about 20 percent. better than befor, and would have it done aqgan if needed. wally

Lou,
I"m type 2 and only 2 yrs behind you....I have 7 implants put in the last few years and not a single problem. Paying for them hurts, but otherwise I go thru an apple or pizza now like a teenager.
Get "er done!
LA in WI

Lou,
There is a good implant installer in Madison. I recommend him to you only thru email.
You say "Good night" at the start, and you wake up on a couch, they wheel you to your car, and someone has to drive you home. At home, take a nap and you are ready to go. Go easy on the pizza for a few days cause it is a little tender.
LA in WI

on dental had some good advise had all top out plate fits secure and needs no help comfortable and secure. you only need anchor for the bottom because of the tongue moving around only regret didnt do it sooner.
bad thing come to before he was done said hang on only 3 left !!! after he got them out i shocked the nurses by getting out of chair 2 of them tackled me and tossed me back they forgot to tell me the chair had wheels and i was going to be wheeled to the recovery room i still think i could have wooped them but i was told never hit a lady

If your dentures are loose and flopping around. They weren't fitted right according to my mom and wife. They both have them and eat corn on the cob or apples and whatever they want. Wife has both uppers and lowers. Mo did too.

My current dentist is a farmer and from a financially secure family. He works to have something to do. He is really good at what he does and does what you ask.

His words: "In dental school the students work on manikins, not real people. Some grads have never had their hand inside a human mouth."

My current rub is the young guys want to do a crown, everything is a crown. Don't do fillings. I don't have dental insurance because I was paying $90 per month for something and when I got to the dentist the dentist said that the Ins co only covered half of the cost of the crown. Wanted the other $500 out of my pocket. Well they were out of line. They weren't supposed to come to me for money above the negotiated price.

So, since I don't need dental work very often, the $1000+ a year I was paying for dental ins could be just as well be avoided which I did and it was a wise decision. Besides when you pay cash you get a 10% discount.

Mark

LA in WI,
Thanks for your reply. I am definitely thinking hard on them. I need something to help hold them in,as I like certain foods that would cause problems eating. Being diabetic has also certain conflicts to watch out for, slow healing and especially being in the mouth, all forms of bacteria, I don't want anything to go wrong and lose parts of the mouth and never recover.
Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
LOU

..."i was told never hit a lady."

Anymore, how can you tell the "ladies" from the cross-dressers. LOL!

caterpillar guy,
So far no dentures,just what I have left.I figured people on here had this done,and appreciated their help in figuring if it was worth the risk and what their experience was in having them done.Some of my family has the plain dentures,and if done I wish to have them done at one time,instead of having plain dentures and then finding out they move too much or wear a sore in my mouth that won't heal.Then find out more surgery to try and correct the unhealed sore then wind up with more trouble.
Thank you for helping and relating your wife and mothers experiences, all will be taken under advisement.
Regards,
LOU

farmerwithmutt,
Thanks for answering.The reason for securing the top plate is to make sure no movement will start a sore in my mouth. Any sore or wound for me being a diabetic takes a lot longer to heal, and sometimes on some diabetics it will not heal and cause infections then major surgery to remove the bad spot.If done I am trying to decide if they're having more trouble with implants and cataract removal, without having a bad infection set in and lose what I have.Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
LOU

wally
Thanks for the help. Nice to know that it worked for you.Maybe I'll be just as good.I figure try one eye first,my worst, then see how it goes from there. Thanks for the reply,
Regards,
LOU

Mrs Ralph,
Thanks again.
Right now I'm trying to gather all the information that I can and get.Trying to find a good Dr around here who has done this type of things on diabetics with success. When done I'll post some info to let others know how it went.
Thanks again for your helpfulness,
Regards,
LOU

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back