O/T Tick Bite

Just went through a VERY scary week with my wife. It started 2 weeks ago, with some type of bite to her leg, which left a huge bruise. A couple of days later, she starts complaining of body aches, and a headache. That night, she started running a fever of 103. So on Monday she goes to doctor, they put her of some anti-biotics and send her home. Seeing no improvement,and not eating or drinking much, I take her back to our doctor on Friday, which happened to be her birthday, and we spent 6 hours in the infusion center, getting her rehydrated. They then just sent her home.
Unable to keep her fevers broken for more than a couple of hours at a time, I put my foot down, and took her to the ER, on Sunday. After several blood tests and a spinal tap, they send us to Methodist Hospital in Indianapolis.
They admitted her immediately. This Monday morning her team of doctors came in, ran a battery of tests, and came back and told us they were bringing in one the the nations top Infectious Disease doctors.
He runs a few more tests, but tells us it may take 3-5 days before we get any results. He the said," But we are not waiting on them", and started treatment for Lyme disease.
After 2 days of treatment her fever finally broke for good, and she started eating again. On Thursday he came in and said they found out that it was NOT Lyme disease but Ehrlichia. A bacterial infection caused by a tick bite. Only the 2nd confirmed case ever in Indiana.
We got to bring her home Friday, but before leaving the hospital, the doctor told me, that on Sunday when I took her to the ER, I may have saved her life. He said if we had waited any longer, because her blood counts were so screwed up, she could have started having seizures and gone into a coma. She is going to make a full recovery, with no long lasting side effects. But it will take 4-6 weeks to get to that point.
So be careful out there. If you do get bit and then a few days later start running a fever, have aches and pains, go straight to the ER. It may just save your life.

Sorry to hear of your problem. Glad you were proactive and took
the personal initiative to do something positive when you didn't
like the results you were getting.

Years ago, raising 4 younguns my wife used to say the Dr. this
and the Dr. that. I said what about us? We have a brain. We
have common sense. We can take the initiative. So we did.

I highly respect the medical community and do my share of
alternative curing in addition. Sometimes they just miss judge
the problem. Had it happen to me and am going through the
chemo right now. It's working. Had it not been for the GP's
concern over my low RBC during an annaI physical, I probably
would have died or had my insides ripped out. He wasn't an
expert on what was wrong with me and missed that call, but he
got the wheels to turning and the experts did.

Never know what's out there and what a harmless scratch or bite
could turn into.

Good luck,

Mark

I had a similar expierance last summer But I saw the tick and removed it so at least I knew it was a tick bite. 2 days later we left for Nova Scotia for vacation on waking up the first morning there I had a 2 inch dia. purple mark like a bruise. I went to the local walk in clinic and was treated for lime disease immediatly the doctors visit cost me $40 and about the same for the meds.I was lucky.

I may have gotten some of that. I didn't get a fever however after getting a tick bite my back started hurting so bad I could barely walk for a week. I didn't think too much about it at first as I've had back trouble for 20 years and then the pain went to my side and then my neck.

Wow...
If you don't mind me asking - what area of Indiana? Was this the standard wood tick like we have everywhere or ?
We get our share of ticks around here, but never paid much mind to them, just pull them off and go on. May be a bit more careful about it now.

Thanks

Tony

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back