Off topic Kohler Magnum

I know this is not the correct forum to ask but I value you guys opinions. I have a 30 yr old Yazoo Mower with a Kohler Magnum 18. The engine just started smoking blue smoke that is hard to breath when I am
mowing. What has been suggested before on this site is white smoke is oil burning in the combustion chamber. What is the biggest cause of blue smoke? 30 years is a long time to get out of an engine and this
winter I may tear her town but for now i just want to finish the mowing season without killing myself.
Thanks
Bob

Blue smoke is OIL. White is coolant. Black is too much fuel, or not enough air.

Check air filter, clean as necessary. Oil overfilled? Gas dilution of the oil?

Had that same 18hp Kohler in a Cub Cadet, LH cylinder did the same thing, first smoking heavy then pumping oil into the exhaust. Replaced it with an Onan. The motor looked like the piston had a chunk missing at the upper edge of the crown.

(quoted from post at 12:27:06 06/22/21) Blue smoke is OIL. White is coolant. Black is too much fuel, or not enough air.

Check air filter, clean as necessary. Oil overfilled? Gas dilution of the oil?

"White is coolant."

That issue is kinda RARE with an air-cooled engine, IMHO!

(quoted from post at 05:30:28 06/23/21) Bob mentioned white smoke in above info.

Learn to read the posts,Bob wrote,The engine just started smoking blue smoke that is hard to breath when I am
mowing.

(quoted from post at 14:02:10 06/22/21) .....a Kohler Magnum 18. The engine just started smoking blue smoke
hen this comes on suddenly, usually a broken oil ring.

gears above sounds like he may have melted a piston, or a broken ring may have broke the piston. Probably scored the cylinder badly leading to oil burn

Cylinder on mine was smooth & clean (at least above the piston) 1100 hours on it and all signs of crosshatching was gone. I suspect there wasnt much left of the oil control ring....

Thanks Roger. I thought blue smoke was oil. Don't know why I used someones opinion about white smoke when I knew better. She's leaking some oil into the combustion chamber. Preciate everyones help.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back