Off topic Tool question (weed burner)

Jim Arm

Sorry to post off topic, but this is the only forum I have posted on here before. If there is a better place to ask this, I will be happy to do so.
I have a had a kerosene/#1 oil weed burner torch for 40 plus years and lost the instructions 39 years ago.
It is a simple pump-up device that holds about a gallon of fuel.
The only control besides the pump is a gate type valve with very small orofices.
I cleaned it thoroughly and can get it to work, but not well. Mainly it goes out when tipped at the angle used to burn weeds.
Does anyone know the settings to start with: How many pumps, how open the valve?
More details if necessary.
Thanks.
Jim Armstrong
Potte Valley, CA

I do not have an answer for you Jim.
It does sound like you were on the right track cleaning it though.
Yesterday's Tractor has a Tool Talk forum that may get you some
more answers. Here's a link to it: [b:ffb022c9fe]Tool Talk[/b:ffb022c9fe]

It is kind of a mysterious device.
The only clues are 2 and 4 liter markings about 1/3 and 2/3 up the side.
It has the number S63 on the pump handle and a one way valve on the bottom of the pump about 3/4" in diameter with the part name and number: Mono Valve 151-400.
This valve comes up in searches as a common part in Hudson garden sprayers, but not burners.
These burners are a very old technology, but are still a good alternative to herbicides.

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back