Oil for final drives

JD Rookie

New User
I have a JD 420c, was wondering what type of oil to use in the final drives. Also is there a trick or a product out there to clean out the finals, because the one side that broke, the oil was pretty gummy.
 
I use 80w90 gear oil in my final drives. I also squirt a tube of grease in each final drive as well so if for some reason I lose oil the grease will help keep things from going dry.
i change my final drive oil twice a year more if i run the machine a lot or in water.
If your getting gunk in your final drives you have bad, missing, leaking seals. Believe me, it's worth the headache to replace and repair your seals then to track down a new final drive! good luck!
 
Case 450 try and get the grease out of your final drives it will do more harm than good,it will cake around the bearings that depend on splash lubrication and stop the oil getting to them,you will be looking for more finals if you don"t
P
 
Really? I didn't know that. My mechanic who helped me re-do my finals two years ago suggested that a tube of grease in each final will help it stay lubed.

The bearings? that need to be splash lubed won't get the oil if there's grease mixed in?
Why not? Does it thicken the 80w90?
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top