???-old plow blade tips

jose bagge

Well-known Member
Kids were out with the "new to us" metal detector yesterday huntin' up treasure and kept digging up plow blades about 18" down in the pasture. Found 7, all somewhat similar but not quite the same, and all in different places. Is this stuff that broke off during plowing, or parts of a peice of equipment that just fell apart and got scattered? It's all cast stuff, not stamped.They sure were proud when they dug 'em up!
 
We've found a few, usually under the edge of a rock just at plow depth. Found one a couple years back with a piece that didn't come off'n any plow on this place since 1950. Rock had been a problem to farmers (Dad & Me) for a number of years!
 
Most fun we have at our farm is when I bring home the excavator to pick away at the wife's list. I have a four year old boy, Isaac and a 3 year old girl Abigail(Palimino Princess) and they love to find treasures when Daddy digs. No gold bars yet but lots of horse shoes, knives, and lots of old water lines(We have all new water lines now, septic field, power line, you get the idea) Our farm was first titled in 1908 so the amount of crap that has fallen out of pockets, been dropped or never found is amazing. Best thing so far is three guns in a hole with barrels bent over 90 degrees like it was done in a vice. Heard stories about an accident with a kid here so I wonder....
 
Are they off of turning (horse/mule drawn breaking) plows? The plow point was made from cast iron and setting the plow down just wrong......on the point........would snap them right off. I've plowed up a-many-a-one that were just left where they were broken off.
 
We got a metal detector in the early 70's. The most common finds we made were plow points and mule shoes. I still have a metal detector, it is a lot of fun to go see what treasures the ground holds.. Great activity to share with the kids... Sure beats playing video games..
 
I found my bb gun wrapped around a small maple tree when I shot a window pane in the outhouse.Took a while to buy a new 350 shot Daisy from Johnson Smith.No more windows.
 
Yesterday's Tractor Forums

We sell tractor parts! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor - the right parts. Our low prices and years of research make us your best choice when you need parts. Shop Online Today.

Back
Top